1st. ride on my FLRT Free Wheeler (about 10 ft.)

Red sport.

60+ Posts
Sep 12, 2019
winfield, Al. Usa
So, I bought this 2015 FLRT Free Wheeler sight unseen since I never rode a 3 wheeler I ask him to bring it to me. Next morning I rolled it out (motor off) in the street started it put it in gear give it the gas let out on clutch took off lean to R to miss my mail box bike went straight knocked down my mail box. Bent turn signal bracket. only 1 time I started to put my feet down at a light. Been riding a Sportster XL1200C last 8 Yrs. I'm 83.

Waited 3 days before I tried again. UPDATE: I've rode about 1,000 miles now & I love it, I don't have to use front brake hardly any more never on stopping. I could go on & on & on But,,20190713_084144.jpg20190713_084202.jpg

James, a friend of mine told me when I transitioned from 2 to 3 that I could lean until I kissed the asphalt and I would not turn on a trike. I would have told you that had I been there on your first 10 ft. Keep riding and have fun. :laugh:

My first foray into three wheels was on a Tri Glide (2015) ... barely got it out of the dealers parking lot before I turned it around and ordered a 2015 Ultra Limited .... the trike scared the snot out of me.

Three months later the Ultra Limited came in that I had ordered ... I had spent that time reading about trikes ... when it was time to pick up the Ultra, I talked to the Owner of the dealer (just happened to be a customer of mine) and he said if you would prefer the tri, I'm good with it. Said the Limited would sell in a heartbeat (he'd had the tri for about 4 months).

So I drove the tri home, five miles. When I got home I was thinking what did you do. I spent the evening doing some soul searching and convinced myself that I could and should get used to the trike. The knees where not getting any better and certainly were getting worse. Holding a heavy bike up was getting tough to say the least.

I did bounce back and forth with 2 wheelers and other trikes, but, I'm at home on the trike. My new to me Tri (2014 Vivid Black) is set up for me now (although, are they ever finished being "setup" ... LOL ... a friend of mine once said, "Owning a Harley is a down payment on accessories".) and I love it. I feel more secure on it, even though I've had both knees replaced since that day. I just love life on three. I put more miles on my Bikes/Trikes than I do on my cage. I've had my truck for 18 months and haven't reached 10k yet (it went to Texas last year and a couple other long trips) ... Had the new to me tri just 6 months and I've got 6k on her ... :D.

So where am I going with all this? We all have our stories of "trike abuse" when we start down the 3 wheeled road. Enjoy that trike and keep on posting .... :D ... oh yea ... get the turn signal fixed ... they tend to pout when they are abused ... LOL.

........ UPDATE: I've rode about 1,000 miles now & I love it, I don't have to use front brake hardly any more never on stopping. I could go on & on & on But,

James, I appreciate someone who can tell of their mishaps on 2 and 3 wheels, laugh about it, and hop back on. Glad to see you are keeping those knees in the breeze! :clapping:

I saw your post about this on another forum. Welcome to TT.

When my wife got her FW last year. I had to get used to 3 wheels. She never rode 2 wheels so she didn't have to forget leaning and this was her first motorcycle. She is getting really good after riding this summer. Her first ride on the road was just three months ago. Now she keeps up with me on the highways and through the twisties.

Triking is fun!

Oorah!

So, I bought this 2015 FLRT Free Wheeler sight unseen since I never rode a 3 wheeler I ask him to bring it to me. Next morning I rolled it out (motor off) in the street started it put it in gear give it the gas let out on clutch took off lean to R to miss my mail box bike went straight knocked down my mail box. Bent turn signal bracket. only 1 time I started to put my feet down at a light. Been riding a Sportster XL1200C last 8 Yrs. I'm 83.

Waited 3 days before I tried again. UPDATE: I've rode about 1,000 miles now & I love it, I don't have to use front brake hardly any more never on stopping. I could go on & on & on But,,View attachment 76385View attachment 76386

Great Job!

Best of luck always!

Same with me.............. my first experience with a three wheel'rrr was at Sturgis ....and I have to admit that it totally took the wind out of my sail....I hated the 20 minute test ride, returned the trike and said NO THANKS!

But fast forward a couple of years, I was getting older, legs were weaker, and i forced myself to trike out my Goldwing...............Well all it took was another ride, on my new triked out Goldwing, and now I'm hook'd.....I'll never ride a two wheel'rrrrrr again..............

Long live three wheel'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's

Ronnie

Same with me.............. my first experience with a three wheel'rrr was at Sturgis ....and I have to admit that it totally took the wind out of my sail....I hated the 20 minute test ride, returned the trike and said NO THANKS!

But fast forward a couple of years, I was getting older, legs were weaker, and i forced myself to trike out my Goldwing...............Well all it took was another ride, on my new triked out Goldwing, and now I'm hook'd.....I'll never ride a two wheel'rrrrrr again..............

Long live three wheel'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's

Ronnie
I too am hooked, I'm a member of COMBAT VETERAN MOTORCYCLE ASSOATION 7 of us now have Trikes I was having trouble (some times) turning & keeping balance especially on gravel & they always helped me, they talked me into buying a Free Wheeler, dropped it 3 time (Sportster) (parking lots) ever time I got hurt always trying to wear body armor they was concerned of me getting hurt, glad they helped me even found the bike for me. Sportey is in the garage up for sale.

Picture is Bricson City NC Mountain trip when we rode the Dragon. 11 mile 319 curves.

65302003_10218122900840748_4762312909499924480_n.jpg

Ha- its nothing hitting a mailbox. Anyone can do that. One old geezer, a week older than me took a Tri Glide for a test ride- "just around the parking lot." After a briefing from the sales geek I told him they handle like a snowmobile. "I can drive anything" proclaims he. He was right, he drove right INTO the coffee hooch on the far side of the parking lot. Scared that poor little girl in there to death. Totaled the front end. Stand up dude- he bought the trike after it was repaired.

Hi James,:wave4:

:welcome: to our Trike Talk Family.:wave4::high5::wave4:

It now sounds like you are becoming more comfortable in the saddle:goodjob:

So, I bought this 2015 FLRT Free Wheeler sight unseen since I never rode a 3 wheeler I ask him to bring it to me. Next morning I rolled it out (motor off) in the street started it put it in gear give it the gas let out on clutch took off lean to R to miss my mail box bike went straight knocked down my mail box. Bent turn signal bracket.

10 feet. Ha-ha-ha-ha. I only made 3. Should have seen the look on the salesman's face. I got better. Love my 2021 Freewheeler now. Keep on riding.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png