Trunk lock issues ....

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Tri Glide that I bought used and I have replaced the worthless plastic sleeve and the silly little clip that is supposed to hold the lock in. I cannot tell you how many times during the 2 months I've owned this trike that I have been flagged down by other traffic because the trunk was open. EVEN when I locked it and pulled on the handle for all I am worth to ensure that it's closed!

Suggestions on this forum were to make minor adjustments in the locking pins. When I took it to my local Harley shop to get any adjustments needed that would make the trunk latch more firmly, I was told 'don't slam the trunk lid shut.' Well after $150 at the local Harley shop for adjustments, a new plastic sleeve and the REALLY annoying little metal clip, the trunk STILL comes open even when it's locked!

So, I have begun researching a proper solution this this ill-designed and even poorer execution for the trunk lock.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the time and energy to research or make this change?

:confused:

I've got a '13 and have never had a problem. Was told right from the beginning to NOT slam the lid. To push on it until I heard a click then push it hard again until I heard a second click. Then I lock it. Like I said have never had a problem doing it this way.

8~\o

I have a 2010 Tri Glide that I bought used and I have replaced the worthless plastic sleeve and the silly little clip that is supposed to hold the lock in. I cannot tell you how many times during the 2 months I've owned this trike that I have been flagged down by other traffic because the trunk was open. EVEN when I locked it and pulled on the handle for all I am worth to ensure that it's closed!

Suggestions on this forum were to make minor adjustments in the locking pins. When I took it to my local Harley shop to get any adjustments needed that would make the trunk latch more firmly, I was told 'don't slam the trunk lid shut.' Well after $150 at the local Harley shop for adjustments, a new plastic sleeve and the REALLY annoying little metal clip, the trunk STILL comes open even when it's locked!

So, I have begun researching a proper solution this this ill-designed and even poorer execution for the trunk lock.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the time and energy to research or make this change?

:confused:

I had that happen a lot with my 11 Tri-glide I Took a very small bungee cord (an eighth of an inch thick by 9 inches long) wrapped it around the two cables that hold the Trunk door and that little bit of tension squeezing the two cables together on the door stopped it from popping open ...

WELL ......

I've got a '13 and have never had a problem. Was told right from the beginning to NOT slam the lid. To push on it until I heard a click then push it hard again until I heard a second click. Then I lock it. Like I said have never had a problem doing it this way.

8~\o

You must be a better man than I am! I have pushed on the center, not slammed it. Pushed on both corners where the latches are and THEN tugged my butt off to see if it would open, THEN locked it. Within 2 miles, people started honking and waving. I thought it might be that I just looked cool, BUT alas I was mistaken. The trunk was hanging open.

Maybe I wasn't holding my tongue just right!

I'm beginning to wonder if the act of locking it is making it open. Sounds crazy, but everyone is saying they lock the door.

I have NEVER had a problem with my lock and I'm on my 3rd TG. I have never locked the door except while in a motel parking lot.

I would imagine if 90% of the locks are failing, Harley would be doing something about it. Especially if it's covered under warranty.

Good luck to all.

just my 2c. if the trunk isn't latched, closed properly it doesn't matter if it's locked or not. With your trunk open, look at the hole where the mechanism is. When you push the button it should move up & down freely. Take a lil wd40 & give it a lil squirt. push the button in & out several time to make sure it is moving without binding. Once you do that then close it gently & see if you can hear it latch. You may need to adjust it now.

Been there, done that!

just my 2c. if the trunk isn't latched, closed properly it doesn't matter if it's locked or not. With your trunk open, look at the hole where the mechanism is. When you push the button it should move up & down freely. Take a lil wd40 & give it a lil squirt. push the button in & out several time to make sure it is moving without binding. Once you do that then close it gently & see if you can hear it latch. You may need to adjust it now.

When I first got the trike, I used graphite lock lube on every lock on the bike, ignition switch, tour pack lock and the trunk lock. I spent a few years as a locksmith after leaving the military and the guy that taught me swore by the stuff. So I lubed the lock before, and after, putting the new plastic sheath on it.

Sorry, but no cigar!

When you close the trunk use the key and lock it , I found when I did that the trunk stayed closed. But sounds like yours opens no matter what.

Press both corners of the trunk lid and make sure it seats good. But sure you tried that too. May sure the lock is lubricated good too.

I am sure I fiddled with other things too at the time..:D

I locked mine last week and when I stopped the trunk lid was open. My flags were till in the trunk. I'll wait and see if it happens again. I will also check closer to see that it's closed tight.

;)

Now that I think about it, I have never lubed the lock. Go figure.

It's not like I open/close it hourly or even daily.

The only thing I do to the rear door is apply silicone to the gasket twice a year.

The way I open my trunk is, I insert my key in the lock, turn it counterclockwise, push the button in, (with the key still in the lock). The trunk pops open. I move the key back to center, pull the key out, and open the trunk. Moving the key back to center leaves the lock in the locked position. As said earlier, don't slam the trunk, but push it up to the lip and gently push on the door. Works great for me.

I've seen more locks ruined by using WD40 than any other product out there. It will wash away any factory lube and gum up whatever it didnt. I use Dri Slide on all my locks.Semi auto pistols too.

Very good product for clutch and throttle cables;)

900-390_A_V1.jpg

trunk lock issues

My brothers kept coming open . Checked it out and found that the hinges were wore out .

This allowed the lid to move sideways . He replaced them and it seems to have solved the problem .

2012 Tri-glide.

My brothers kept coming open . Checked it out and found that the hinges were wore out .

This allowed the lid to move sideways . He replaced them and it seems to have solved the problem .

2012 Tri-glide.

Good post. I would never think of looking at that.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png