First trike!

Oldrodder

80+ Posts
Reaction score
After a minor mishap with my Indian Chief Vintage, resulting in a broken ankle, I made the decision to move to three wheels. That decision was aided by my age as well, almost 75 yrs old.

I was able to trade the Indian for a BMW K1200 LT with the Hannigan conversion. I've only been on 2 short rides on it as I still have almost 2 weeks to go in my AirCast. I'm perplexed by the reverser. When I engage it and press the starter button, it only moves the trike about 5-6 feet, then stops. Push the button again and it moves another 5-6 feet. The dealer told me that's so the starter motor doesn't overheat. I just wached a video of a fella backing his bike a good 30 feet up a slight incline without re-engaging the button.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks all,

Mike

Welcome to the World of three wheels ... I've always felt the BMW K1200 LT would make a fine trike ... very comfy on the road ... lots of power ... just kind of a pain to work on ... but with some research t's all doable ... kind of like the Gold Wing air filter replace ... once the plastic is out of the way ... piece of cake ... :D ... Looking forward topics of your ride.

After a minor mishap with my Indian Chief Vintage, resulting in a broken ankle, I made the decision to move to three wheels. That decision was aided by my age as well, almost 75 yrs old.

I was able to trade the Indian for a BMW K1200 LT with the Hannigan conversion. I've only been on 2 short rides on it as I still have almost 2 weeks to go in my AirCast. I'm perplexed by the reverser. When I engage it and press the starter button, it only moves the trike about 5-6 feet, then stops. Push the button again and it moves another 5-6 feet. The dealer told me that's so the starter motor doesn't overheat. I just wached a video of a fella backing his bike a good 30 feet up a slight incline without re-engaging the button.

Thanks all,

Mike

Mike............

The reverse is a Reverse Assist Only.......Its not a true reverse .....You should Only hold the reverse button for short bursts...That guy backing up 30 feet or more and on an incline if he made it a habit will be posting soon....Does Anyone know how to fix a burnt out reverse...

:welcome: To the Trike Talk Family! FROM SOUTH
attachment.php
Angleton, TX

Howdy Mike!

Take care of the leg..... you have some riding to do!
:clapping:

Good morning Mike Welcome from Wisconsin. Look forward to seeing some pics of your "new" ride. Stay safe!!

Noticeable here is one response that even mentions OPs question on the reverse. If it's anything like the Honda, there's a adjust cable on the under right side pull panel. I prefer not use my reverse unless I'm assisting the back up, starter replacement is expensive. Many will post they use reverse all the time with no adverse strain on the starter or failures, I just do not want to tempt failure. Common sense to me that Honda reverse operation is one huge mechanical/electrical strain on the starter especially with driver and passenger is aboard. If I have to use reverse, I gently assist the reverse by walking my Road Smith back. Some say this is a safety thing, but I'm comfortable doing a walk back assist and it doesn't trouble me. As in most vehicle operations, driver's choice.

First Trike! (reverse)

Hi Mike, Welcome, 2006/2012 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike here from NJ. The reverse should operate without hesitation for as long as the reverse button is depressed. I've held mine in reverse at least 60 seconds a few times without fault. But there are some safety features built in to prevent damage. I recently read a post from BMWLT.com, which I'm a member, about the same problem someone was having. Seems to me it was a sensor on the transmission but I'd have to try and find the post there to be sure. I could look for you but it might be quicker if you researched it yourself. They are very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly people for the K1200LT in particular. Let me know if you find the information and in the mean time I'll poke around also and let you know if I can find the answer..... Congratulations on your move to three wheels. The wife and I still love our KLT trike.....Rob and Debbie:wave4:

Thanks all,

Mike

Hey Mike try this link.....Rob

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/134338-reverse-problem.html

post number 10 (jzeiler)

Last edited:
Noticeable here is one response that even mentions OPs question on the reverse. If it's anything like the Honda, there's a adjust cable on the under right side pull panel. I prefer not use my reverse unless I'm assisting the back up, starter replacement is expensive. Many will post they use reverse all the time with no adverse strain on the starter or failures, I just do not want to tempt failure. Common sense to me that Honda reverse operation is one huge mechanical/electrical strain on the starter especially with driver and passenger is aboard. If I have to use reverse, I gently assist the reverse by walking my Road Smith back. Some say this is a safety thing, but I'm comfortable doing a walk back assist and it doesn't trouble me. As in most vehicle operations, driver's choice.

Hi Bill,

I also very rarely use reverse myself, on my R/smith... I always park so I don't have to use it....It's that bad feeling that I have that the starter is straining ... Even backing out of my garage, I always, walk it back, My drive has a very slight downward flow so even that's easy to push out!!! ;)

Ronnie

Hi Bill,

I also very rarely use reverse myself, on my R/smith... I always park so I don't have to use it....It's that bad feeling that I have that the starter is straining ... Even backing out of my garage, I always, walk it back, My drive has a very slight downward flow so even that's easy to push out!!! ;)

Ronnie

We are on the same page, so I do expect my starter to do what it's designed to do for a long time, start the machine.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png