Help me decide on "fender bras" for the new trike

Wing'n It

Sep 30, 2019
Eaton, Ohio, USA
The dealer had CSC install some type of clear vinyl on the painted surfaces that are likely to chip and this vinyl looks good now but I'm worried what it will look like after it starts getting beat up. I told my selling dealer I was interrested in a set of fender bras to protect the fenders and they said they are not needed with the "chip guard" installed. Well I went ahead and ordered a new set directly from CSC but I have yet to install them. Can't decide what to do??

The instructions that came with the bra's say they can be installed between the fender and running board OR just above the running board.

Heres a pic of my trike and a pic I found with the bra's installed...

Attachments

• KIMG1120.JPG
    KIMG1120.JPG
    853.3 KB · Views: 405
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 393
Since you already have the Vinyl installed, it will protect the paint. In two years when it possibly starts looking nasty, you can have it replaced. Or if you really like the look of the fender bras, just remember to take them off every six months and wax underneath them.

I happen to like the look of the bras: But if I had the Vinyl installed when I bought it, I would of kept it and for go the bras.

TriGlide.jpg

Nuc

FWIW I have the black bras on my Hannigan and I don't like them. I would much prefer the clear and if the film is the Expel brand

then it's the best there is. Actually self heals small chips. Besides, the lines of the bike are just so much cleaner and nicer without the vinyl bras IMO

I have no idea who made the clear vinyl as CSC had it done. They did a great job getting all the areas protected that would likely chip, the whole outer edge and top of the running boards and the whole fronts of the fenders. You cant even really see it but you can feel the edges of it. That's my problem as well, I'm on the fence. I have them so I may just see how well the clear holds up. I did see a older trike used at a dealer with the clear vinyl on white paint and it was turning yellow and looking bad, I think it was around a 2005 model.

I have no idea who made the clear vinyl as CSC had it done. They did a great job getting all the areas protected that would likely chip, the whole outer edge and top of the running boards and the whole fronts of the fenders. You cant even really see it but you can feel the edges of it. That's my problem as well, I'm on the fence. I have them so I may just see how well the clear holds up. I did see a older trike used at a dealer with the clear vinyl on white paint and it was turning yellow and looking bad, I think it was around a 2005 model.

3M sells the clear by the roll. You can cut to size for replacement.

Its your ride , you deside :Shrug:

I have both. Got the clear protective material from See Through Braz and it's great stuff. Has been on my Tri-Glide for 4 yrs now with no problems. I also have the black Harley Fender bras....I like the look.

One bad thing about running just with the bras the outter seam will rub the paint off so you have to be very careful to make sure no dirt or grime gets between the seam and your paint

See Through Braz made me some additional pieces to add to the fenders assuring the bra never touched the paint. I'm very happy with their product and customer service.

8~\o

The dealer had CSC install some type of clear vinyl on the painted surfaces that are likely to chip and this vinyl looks good now but I'm worried what it will look like after it starts getting beat up. I told my selling dealer I was interrested in a set of fender bras to protect the fenders and they said they are not needed with the "chip guard" installed. Well I went ahead and ordered a new set directly from CSC but I have yet to install them. Can't decide what to do??

The instructions that came with the bra's say they can be installed between the fender and running board OR just above the running board.

Heres a pic of my trike and a pic I found with the bra's installed...

Your trike's picture is now the background of my work PC. Beautiful!!

I purchased a bra from a company that makes custom bras for trikes. They are very easy to find on the web. I had it embroidered with a logo of my choice. They appear to be made of comparable materials to the originals.

I had the clear Expel installed on my 1997 GL1500. Not sure if it was the dealer's fault of a bad install or if the fenders had too much of a curve to the bottom but the bottom of the film kept wrinkling up and all the dirt would get underneath. The installer's answer was to keep cutting off little pieces but it kept happening. The good thing was the stones and debris never penetrated the film and scratched the Paint and it was easy to clean. The bike was white so you could see everything.

When I bought my GL1800 I went to a different installer and had the Expel installed on my Roadsmith kit. These fenders are much straighter than the old Roadsmith kit. So far no problems. Your bike looks absolutely gorgeous and if it was mine, I'd stick with the clear that's already on there. Wouldn't like the thought of having to remove the bras every year and risking damage while doing so. You also have the running boards which I opted not to get because I like being able to put my feet on the ground to back up. I think the boards will protect the fenders even more.

I had the clear Expel installed on my 1997 GL1500. Not sure if it was the dealer's fault of a bad install or if the fenders had too much of a curve to the bottom but the bottom of the film kept wrinkling up and all the dirt would get underneath. The installer's answer was to keep cutting off little pieces but it kept happening. The good thing was the stones and debris never penetrated the film and scratched the Paint and it was easy to clean. The bike was white so you could see everything.

When I bought my GL1800 I went to a different installer and had the Expel installed on my Roadsmith kit. These fenders are much straighter than the old Roadsmith kit. So far no problems. Your bike looks absolutely gorgeous and if it was mine, I'd stick with the clear that's already on there. Wouldn't like the thought of having to remove the bras every year and risking damage while doing so. You also have the running boards which I opted not to get because I like being able to put my feet on the ground to back up. I think the boards will protect the fenders even more.

Thanks for the input as that's some food for thought. The running boards come off super easy for bike service and I thought about removing them and riding it that way for awhile to see if I like it that way. Right now with them on my boots are rubbing on them and I cant get my feet in my comfort spot.

Thanks for the input as that's some food for thought. The running boards come off super easy for bike service and I thought about removing them and riding it that way for awhile to see if I like it that way. Right now with them on my boots are rubbing on them and I cant get my feet in my comfort spot.

Do all running boards come off easy or are we just talking about CSC ??

I'm mechanical inclined, BUT never realized that the (running) boards come off that easy......(actually never looked or checked out underneath the boards) and i've had my trike up, and crawled under to service it... Wheel against building, and jacked up rear end high so I could just crawl under, for a nice easy look......

I ride a Roadsmith model / Goldwing

Ronnie

FWIW I have the black bras on my Hannigan and I don't like them. I would much prefer the clear and if the film is the Expel brand then it's the best there is. Actually self heals small chips.
Yeah, maybe, but while I didn't see the rock, I've seen the result of a solid rock hit / chip. It lasts too.
I had the clear Expel installed on my 1997 GL1500. Not sure if it was the dealer's fault of a bad install or if the fenders had too much of a curve to the bottom but the bottom of the film kept wrinkling up and all the dirt would get underneath. … etc …
Why I no longer use stick on clear anything as fender bras. It looks like crap around edges in a short time.

I have the Expel on my Tri, it was on when I bought it ... I know that because the warrantee paperwork came with it. It looks great (IE you can't see it unless you get really close). I have caught a rock on the right rear fender. Did not penetrate the film but looked a little bad for awhile ... it actually is "healing" itself. I don't notice it at all unless I'm washing the trike. Then you can see the water path is "disturbed" and then you notice the "dimple" ... but each time it looks smaller.

I got a pair of the Fender Bras spring 2018, and have been on the fence for installing all this time. I just can't seem to get myself over the thought of covering that lovely paint....even though I've gotten chips since then.:blush: Probably best to part with them and put the dollars toward Clear Protective Film.

Anyone know anything about the Bras For Trikes Clear Fender Bras....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png