What you gonna do?

Bikerbozo

Class Clown
Jun 9, 2010
Coram, NY USA
So, all sorts of stuff has been replaced or repaired on my 153k miles TG. Engine replaced last year. Tranny rebuilt. Clutch completely. Neck bearing and fork springs and seals. New belt. And a million little things.

So rode up to CT for business last week, then back up this week. Went slowly over a very low, mild speed bump at a company in Middletown. Started hearing a weird “rotational” sound. Parked, worked for day and then started looking for cause of sound. Seemed to be from front. New fender seemed tight and no rubbing. Brakes and pads seemed good. Clutch seemed good. Rode in lot and killed engine. Still hearing sound. Park and try shaking front wheel with my hand. Thought I heard a sound. Decide it’s wheel bearings. Get MoTow to Gengras HD in East Hartford. Got there 10 minutes before they closed, so they were going to work on it in morning. Walked to hotel 1/2 mile away. Back in morning. Found out left side bearings “disintegrated”. Their word, not mine. Good thing I opted for not trying to ride slow. So only replacing bearings, not wheel.

FYI this is a rare dealership that I like now and does good work. Had no clue they were there. Can’t be seen from highway. If you look in bottom right of pic, you can see my Trike.

Attachments

• BED2282A-B485-4D89-B9D1-F87B9CEE77A3.jpeg
    BED2282A-B485-4D89-B9D1-F87B9CEE77A3.jpeg
    950.1 KB · Views: 294
How much longer you keeping the TRI? :D

Hey, it’s effectively a new Trike. I should be good for another decade on it. The new engine build with all Screaming Eagle and end of the line 103 design has run flawlessly since last year. Tranny rebuild before it went also (metal found in magnetic plug at 130k).

....Not that I don’t look on Craig’s List occasionally.:qpnmt:

OMG! You really do HAVE A TRIKE................ LOL

Hopefully we'll all, see it at next years trike rally in New York..........:D

Your a good man Andrew, and we always have a good time, together while at the rally....Just happy, that you have a back up bike to use, when ever the trike is down...:qpnmt:

Ronnie

PS> Please give the wife a hug from me....She's also a "sweet heart" ..............I showed my wife the picture of her "cat Tee shirt" that she was wearing the day of our ride...

Ronnie

Just curious how many miles where there on the wheel bearing? I have an FLHTP 2008 and the rear ones went out about 25000. I was having a set of tires put on and told the service manager to check the rear bearings as the bike was kind of squirrelly feeling in the rear. He told me those bearings were bullet proof. I do industrial maintenance and replace the same or almost identical bearing every 3 or so months in rollers at my company. And I had already jacked the bike up at home and noticed some free play, no noise just slight movement. Anyway about 15 minutes or so into the appointment he came looking for me to tell me the rear bearings were shot. I don't go to that dealer for work anymore to many times We've had issues. And I like to do stuff that I can, but tire changes are a real pain without equipment. I miss the old bearing you could repack and replace the bearing(s) and races. Just my opinion but they seemed to last a lot longer. My theory may be way wrong if you got 153k out of those sealed units. And glad you made it safe to your destination.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png