My gearshift will not engage

Reaction score
2008 STALLION

Something broke and just get loose ?

It stated with that i have to shift to second gear and then to d to engage

but now it will not engage to any of the gears

please help

thank you

I'm betting that there is a bushing of some sort both or at least one end of the shift cable that is worn. My wife is having the same issue with hers but I will not be looking at the issue until later this week.

GEARS

I'm betting that there is a bushing of some sort both or at least one end of the shift cable that is worn. My wife is having the same issue with hers but I will not be looking at the issue until later this week.

I STARTED TO TAKING EVERYTHING APART HOPING TO FIND WHERE THAT WIRE LEADS TO :confused:

I STARTED TO TAKING EVERYTHING APART HOPING TO FIND WHERE THAT WIRE LEADS TO :confused:

Victor i found my wife's problem. The shifter end of the shift cable the bushing was completely gone. The cable end loop stayed over the post but there was about a 1/2 inch of slop so it did not hit the proper gears when moved. The cable could of easily come off making for no ability to change gears at all.

I made my own bushing out of 1/4 in rubber hose 3/8 in long. Put it on the post on the shifter and then slid the cable loop over the bushing. Because the factory bushing has some kind of locking mechanism to hold the cable on, my repair I had to devise a way to keep the cable from sliding off. I took 2 plastic wire ties and made o loop around the cable securing it to the shifter post. Works great.

Look under the hood at the shifter and see if the shifter cable has not come off causing your problem. If it is on see if you can push it off the post and if there is slop in the post to the cable end. You might have the same problem. There is also a similar connection at the transmission end but looking at pictures I think it is a little different and might not be subject to the same wear. Keep us advised.

GEARS

i check the wire by the shift gear and its connected

i thinking that is by the gear box ? any idea how to get to gear box

i look under the bike and no luck finding the box or wire :confused:

do you have any photo of what you did ?

Gorilla

thank you for help

i check the wire by the shift gear and its connected

i thinking that is by the gear box ? any idea how to get to gear box

i look under the bike and no luck finding the box or wire :confused:

do you have any photo of what you did ?

Gorilla

thank you for help

Victor just so we have our terms correct, when you say wire are you referring to the shift cable? The shift cable is a good 1/4 thick end with a loop and the cable itself runs in a sleeve. Sorry no photos

The cable attaches to a lever that comes out of the side of the transmission. This lever is located on the left side of the transmission. It is right in by the master cylinder. The cable is mount similar to what you see at the shift lever but the connector appears to be more rugged.

Gears

Thanks Gorilla

With your guidance I was able to track the problem down it was the cable came loose by the gear I put it back and use Loctite and hopefully it won’t happen again

Gear

Sorry I try to put some pictures on of the problem but I had no luck

Sorry disabled veterans heavy medication so I feel better I’ll try again

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTCBB77
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png