Over heating issue '03 GL1800

controlu

Reaction score
Temp gauge climbs slowly. Normally it stays at one line below the 1/2 point but yesterday it got to one line above the 1/2 point. I stopped, bought some coolant and topped off the overflow tank. It didn’t need any but thought I’d top it off anyway. I'm sure most of it spit out from being over full. Rode 30 miles home with the heat gauge still reading high and even climbing just a tad. I let the bike sit overnight and took off the radiator cap this morning. I saw no liquid at all. I managed to get in 5 cups of distilled water before the level stayed. I then started the bike and let it idle for about two min. The fluid level dropped but, more importantly, I saw water dripping under the bike. Okay, so there is a leak somewhere and I’ll pull of the belly pan in the morning and try to track that/those down. However, the overflow tank is still at the proper level!!

So, my question is, why would I be losing liquid level in the radiator but still maintaining the correct level in the overflow tank? The over flow hose is not blocked. I took it loose at the top and blew through it with no resistance at all. Shouldn’t the radiator be sucking fluid from the overflow tank?

The best way to check leaks I have found is using a pressure test kit similar to this one, ALWAYS check your radiator cap first ( be careful when testing hot fluid)

You can some times rent this equipment from Auto Zone and others

Thanks, I'll check for a pressure tester at the local auto parts place. However, my main question is why the overflow tank is not sucked dry by the radiator.

Likewise, a hole in the cooling system that lets coolant leak can also let air in during the cool down that provides the vacuum to pull coolant out of the overflow tank.

The overflow tank isn't there to patch or cover up for coolant leaks, it's there just to save coolant pumped out by coolant heating up and the pressure cap letting excess pressure off. In the old days before coolant recovery tanks were common … you lost that little bit and anytime after first heat cycle that you opened the cap, the level was down. Now, with coolant recovery systems, coolent gets sucked back in on cool down and the level stays up.

Nothing special. 30 plus years ago,I added a long copper tube to my overflow tube on my '77 F-150, cut a hole in a gallon AF jug near the handle to fit the tube that is long enough to reach bottom, tied the jug next to the radiator with poly rope, it recovers nicely … but there's no leaks in my truck's cooling system

Likewise, a hole in the cooling system that lets coolant leak can also let air in during the cool down that provides the vacuum to pull coolant out of the overflow tank.

The overflow tank isn't there to patch or cover up for coolant leaks, it's there just to save coolant pumped out by coolant heating up and the pressure cap letting excess pressure off. In the old days before coolant recovery tanks were common … you lost that little bit and anytime after first heat cycle that you opened the cap, the level was down. Now, with coolant recovery systems, coolent gets sucked back in on cool down and the level stays up.

Nothing special. 30 plus years ago,I added a long copper tube to my overflow tube on my '77 F-150, cut a hole in a gallon AF jug near the handle to fit the tube that is long enough to reach bottom, tied the jug next to the radiator with poly rope, it recovers nicely … but there's no leaks in my truck's cooling system

Well, that 'splains it. I didn't think of a leak filling the vacuum. Duhhh. Good thinking on the Ford truck, too.

So, will they warranty their work?

They say they will but gave me an appointment for the rework that is three weeks down the road. I'm becoming convinced to never, EVER, buy a used Goldwing. Trying to get one repaired here in South West Florida is damn near impossible. The Honda dealers will not work on anything more than eight years old and anyone else that will work on them, well, you don't know what you're getting.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png