How best to remove painted pin strip names and symbols

gator1606

Reaction score
I bought a used Trike, in excellent shape, but has painted names on back and some religious symbols that I want to remove. What is the best way to remove them without damage to the clear coat?

thanks,

bill P a/k/a gator1606

:welcome: William , try white compound, even after removal , it will always be there as a ghost image! Unfortunately a repaint will be needed.

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

You might try Easy Off Oven Cleaner, spray on a micro fiber rag and rub ... it has worked for me before ... just be careful and test it in an inconspicuous spot first, not all clear coats are alike.

Perhaps a custom vinyl graphic wrap can be made to cover what you're trying to "erase"?

Other then that, depending on what type of paint was used and how long it's had to cure, as Frankie said, only a repaint will truly get it gone.

Good luck, and welcome to the site William...

I would think acetone would start getting to any clear-coat and dull the finish. No?:Shrug:

Yes .... eventually the clear coat will yellow over time if acetone is applied ... did this to a 1 ton dually truck ... white ... got some overspray from a trailer I was working on, on the truck, came right off with acetone ... within months the clear started to yellow ... about a year it was cracking and pealing ... ended up getting the whole rear of the truck repainted.

Hello and :welcome: to Trike Talk, glad to have U with us. :clapping:

I brought the painted part to an auto body shop where they used compounds that would not damage the clear coat but remove the names from the trunk lid.

What was the name of that stuff that ‘Zook recently (either August or September I think) highly recommended to remove overspray? He buys it at either Home Depot or Lowe’s. Said it would not damage the bike’s paint... I can’t remember the name of it... would it help in this situation?

No matter what different products you use you're always going to have a ghost image of the names/designs. A re-paint is about the only sure method of covering it up. Sorry !!

Welsome aboard !!

8~\o

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

You might try Easy Off Oven Cleaner, spray on a micro fiber rag and rub ... it has worked for me before ... just be careful and test it in an inconspicuous spot first, not all clear coats are alike.

I once watched a pinstriper called "Jake" remove a bad striping job on a '34 Ford Streetrod with Easy Off oven cleaner before re-striping the car. Didn't appear to leave a "ghost" image.

As Fuzzy said, proceed with caution!

I once watched a pinstriper called "Jake" remove a bad striping job on a '34 Ford Streetrod with Easy Off oven cleaner before re-striping the car. Didn't appear to leave a "ghost" image.

As Fuzzy said, proceed with caution!

That's where I learned of it ... had my 01 red wing pin striped ... that night it poured and the pin stripping got weird looking. The pin stripper used easy off to remove them so he could redo them ... no charge ... very nice vendor ... he got a nice tip ... :D

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png