Ball platform for Hannigan trailer hitch

Is there a commercially available ball platform for this hitch? My 1 1/4" one is too big! Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike, Not sure what you mean by ball platform! Are you stating the ball hitch size? My Hannigan conversion kit was ordered with the hitch assembly and included a 1 7/8" ball which was the correct size for my Aspen camper. I don't believe the hitch assembly is commercially manufactured. I could take a few photo's of it if needed........Rob:D

Is there a commercially available ball platform for this hitch? My 1 1/4" one is too big! Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I'm not sure what you mean by "platform" either (sorry) My hitch assembly came with my bike also.. it also has a 1 7/8* ball.... If you mean the wrong sized ball (that can be replaced very easily... ** just unbolt it from the bottom**

Ronnie

Hi Mike, Not sure what you mean by ball platform! Are you stating the ball hitch size? My Hannigan conversion kit was ordered with the hitch assembly and included a 1 7/8" ball which was the correct size for my Aspen camper. I don't believe the hitch assembly is commercially manufactured. I could take a few photo's of it if needed........Rob:D

Rob,

The ball platform is the part that holds the ball and is inserted into the receiver (hitch). They come in 1 1/4" 1 1/2" & 2" sizes as well as different drops. I bought my trike used and came with the receiver installed but missing the ball platform. My 1 1/4" is too big. I'm just wondering if Hannigan, in their wisdom, decided to use a non standard size.

Thanks for your help.

Rob,

The ball platform is the part that holds the ball and is inserted into the receiver (hitch). They come in 1 1/4" 1 1/2" & 2" sizes as well as different drops. I bought my trike used and came with the receiver installed but missing the ball platform. My 1 1/4" is too big. I'm just wondering if Hannigan, in their wisdom, decided to use a non standard size.

Thanks for your help.

Huh, guess I never noticed the size discrepancy but it definitely is smaller than 1 1/4", (see picture). The tape measure is slightly skewed but you can see it looks like 1 3/16", odd size unless it's metric which is a little over 30 mm? It also fits slightly loose within the square receiver and Hannigan provides a bolt on the hitch assembly to take up any slack. It is a solid square bar. In any event it was part of the package from Hannigan so maybe e-mail or give them a call. You'll also notice I reversed the drop to up which makes my camper closer to level. With it on down drop it was too close to the ground for me........Rob

Attachments

• Hitch-1.jpg
    Hitch-1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Hitch-2.jpg
    Hitch-2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 220
Rob,

Thanks for your help.

Bicycle shops sell them......Thats the receiver size for holding bicycle racks...

Huh, guess I never noticed the size discrepancy but it definitely is smaller than 1 1/4", (see picture). The tape measure is slightly skewed but you can see it looks like 1 3/16", odd size unless it's metric which is a little over 30 mm? It also fits slightly loose within the square receiver and Hannigan provides a bolt on the hitch assembly to take up any slack. It is a solid square bar. In any event it was part of the package from Hannigan so maybe e-mail or give them a call. You'll also notice I reversed the drop to up which makes my camper closer to level. With it on down drop it was too close to the ground for me........Rob
Always heard that called a drawbar. it is a hair under 1-1/4" so that it doesn't get stuck over time in the often exactly 1-1/4" receiver. To eliminate slack or play, I went underneath and drill a hole up through receiver into drawbar ahead of cross pin and tapped it for a 3/8" bolt that I tighten, but then I usually leave my drawbar in place on the trike (like a bumper, has tail skid too) unless I use the hitch rack I built (and it too uses both the hitch pin & 3/8" bolt). I only ever heard of 1-1/4", 2" and now ... 3" receivers (really HD) except for a no longer made Reese hidden hitch on my Mercury GM that has a flat drawbar (about 3/4" thick but 3" wide).

Attachments

• small drawbar.JPG
    small drawbar.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 178
Spring is just around the corner here in Northern Ontario and I've neglected to work out a solution for this problem I might just take the Hannigan receiver off and install a "standard" 1 1/4" Problem solved!!

Thanks everyone for all your advice!!

Be well, stay safe during these trying times.

Always heard that called a drawbar. it is a hair under 1-1/4" so that it doesn't get stuck over time in the often exactly 1-1/4" receiver. To eliminate slack or play, I went underneath and drill a hole up through receiver into drawbar ahead of cross pin and tapped it for a 3/8" bolt that I tighten, but then I usually leave my drawbar in place on the trike (like a bumper, has tail skid too) unless I use the hitch rack I built (and it too uses both the hitch pin & 3/8" bolt). I only ever heard of 1-1/4", 2" and now ... 3" receivers (really HD) except for a no longer made Reese hidden hitch on my Mercury GM that has a flat drawbar (about 3/4" thick but 3" wide).

CrystalPistol, Could you post photos of the hitch rack that you built? I'm unable to PM you.

If you prefer, you can send them to my e-mail.....tuff.32@fibreop.ca

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png