Aftermarket catless header

Tried one. Not impressed. It came off after my ride to CA from TX and back in '17. Plus, if your trike is a late model, Harley will flat ass flag your powertrain coverage.

Mine was from FuelMoto btw. One of the best. I just wasn't going to risk my extended coverage for what was very little gain in torque and hp. Worse, you can kiss decent sound reproduction good by. Even with helmet speakers. Street Cannons were down right obnoxious at highway speed above 50. Not good when trying to cross the desert.

Mine was from FuelMoto btw. One of the best. I just wasn't going to risk my extended coverage for what was very little gain in torque and hp. Worse, you can kiss decent sound reproduction good by. Even with helmet speakers. Street Cannons were down right obnoxious at highway speed above 50. Not good when trying to cross the desert.

Mine helped with heat,and that was why it was done. I doubt it helps performance at all. JMO I still have the stock header if anyone wants to remove the cat.

Op never gave us the MY of ride. If it's post '17, won't matter anyway. MoCo moved the cat behind the rider floorboard to help with the heat issue. And, as more and more states get AR with emissions testing, cat removal will be an automatic fail. Lastly, on a '17 and up MY, Harley will void the powertrain coverage. In fact, install non EPA compliant anything will now zap the powertrain coverage on a late model HD.

My trike is a 2016 FW. If sound is the real noticeable enhancement then no install, but heat on my right thigh when stop and go traffic is unbearable. Still looking at all options.

I put one of these on my Tri

De Catted Head Pipe 150 Wild Pigx.jpg

New head in 1.jpg

Fairly easy install ... hardest part was getting to the head bolts torqued ... kind of tight space.

As for the benefits ... much cooler after retuning ... I think performance is better too ... I've done this to every Harley that's had a cat ... there's been a few. The Wild Pigs pipe is a Harley pipe that has been gutted ... did one myself pain in the b$tt ... my welding skills aren't the best .. LOL ... I apply lots of weld ... then grind until it is pretty. The wild pigs are $100 if you return yours. You'll need like $80 in gaskets and clamps.

01 Photo 4-3-2019 15.40.18.jpg

IMHO, this is worth the effort ... might even be easier on a freewheeler ... no lowers in the way ... while job took about 3-4 hours.

Got the wild pigs on eBay.

Reactions: MDO
My first trike was a '16. Had the Fuel Moto catless header w/HD Street Cannons. By the time I go to CA from central TX, I bought a set of OE take offs from the dealer Salinas, CA that did 5k service work. I was so disgusted with the sound deterioration of the Street Cannons that I told him to keep them. The head pipe came off when I got back. I just didn't notice that big of a reduction in heat. My suggestion would be a floorboard spacer kit. Moving the boards out away from the engine cases goes a long way in reducing the heat. Just my .02

My suggestion would be a floorboard spacer kit. Moving the boards out away from the engine cases goes a long way in reducing the heat. Just my .02

I did that too ... I'm guessing the post de cat tuning gave the beast it's cool ... I ride in 100* weather now in shorts (don't hate me ... I've heard it all before) and unless I bang my leg against the pipe (rare but it happens) I hardly notice the heat.

Should be noted .. taken these steps for heat reduction:

1) A Loy of auto tuning with the power vision

2) de catted head pipe

3) Fuel Moto E-Series slippons

4) Luv Jug Mini Mites

5) Rider board relocators

In order of most bang for the buck, probably 4, 1, 5, 2, 3. But, the OP didn't ask about anything else to cool the beast.

just a suggestion...

Mine helped with heat,and that was why it was done. I doubt it helps performance at all. JMO I still have the stock header if anyone wants to remove the cat.

I would keep the original stock header just in case you get grief from the inspection station or decide to sell the

trike to someone out of state who has more stringent inspections

Ride safe :)

Dante

I have been looking for a take-off pipe so I can De-cat it. So went to the dealer today and was asking a service writer what they did when the replace a set of pipes so she says most of the time they give them to the customer. As she was telling me that one of the mechanics walks up and ask what I wanted so I told him a head pipe for a 17 triglide and he says let me check, About 5 minutes later he walks up with a new pipe and says $50. This pipe went from the showroom around to the back of the dealership to service and was replaced. Had just a real light coating of soot inside. Walked through the front door and noticed 5 trikes lined up together 2 20 triglides one 20 freewheeler and 2 used triglides, one 18 and one 19. Made a comment to the sales person that was following me around and told him the person that traded the 19 in must have done so on the CVO Trike that they had on the floor and se says yes the did and it is in service and he is waiting for it.

A couple of things, if you go with a different header you are going to have to tune it, period. Next, is the headpipe, a performance one will get you more power, but the costs weigh heavily. Fullsac performance has a sport pipe, which tunes in just under a hp difference than their expensive pipe for a fraction of the cost. I have used one, they work great, it’s an exchange, so be aware of that. Some say a decatted stock tc pipe has cross talk between the sensors, so take that in also. Maybe a used pipe. Mufflers, I bought a set of cvo take off’s for $135/175 area, used a little elbow grease, took the cvo baffles out and replaced them with Fullsac baffles, great sound and performance. Sound is subjective, it can also be expensive, lol.

Thank you for the replies/info. I have decided to go a Captain Itch crotch cooler, that will save time and money. I will also install Advanblack fairing lowers. I am going the thrifty but effective route.

:confused: Thought you were trying to eliminate heat, not add to it ? Hard lowers will restrict air flow across the foot area. Exactly why I removed mine from my non water cooled ride. The vent doors simply increase flow across the cooling fins. :Shrug:

My foot is not bothered by the heat, it is my thigh. If the fins get more air thereby cooling them my upper area (thigh) will reap the benefit. Hopefully along with the crotch cooler even more so. I think it's worth the gamble.

My foot is not bothered by the heat, it is my thigh. If the fins get more air thereby cooling them my upper area (thigh) will reap the benefit. Hopefully along with the crotch cooler even more so. I think it's worth the gamble.

Compare before and after temps, you may be surprised at what you find.

I saw higher ET ;) The heat gets trapped under , it will feel cooler on your thighs BUT the trapped heat will cause your engine to not be able to cool as quickly

I did a search on the crotch cooler nothing but positive reviews. The lowers are standard on the tri-glide, both options seems like a winner for me, and both are easy on and easy off.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png