Gear Oil Transmission

nucseal

1000+ Posts
Jan 16, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Tried to search this up, with no luck. How many of you are using Gear Oil in their transmission. Thinking of using Amsoil 75-140W in my transmission vice original 20-50W Oil. Any Pros or Cons to doing this?

Thanks for the info

Tried to search this up, with no luck. How many of you are using Gear Oil in their transmission. Thinking of using Amsoil 75-140W in my transmission vice original 20-50W Oil. Any Pros or Cons to doing this?

Thanks for the info

I put HD's 80/140 synthetic in my Freewheeler at the 1k service about a month ago. Did the same thing with my Low Rider when I had it. HD came out with it maybe a year ago. On both the bike and trike it made shifting smoother and neutral easier to find.

FWIW I use Syn 3 in the motor and Formula+ in the primary. I just stuck with HD lube cuz it's easy to get. I'm fairly sure you'd have the same results with Amsoil.

Gear oil always;)

I have tried pretty much all of them except Amzoil

I like Redline

The plus side is gear oil cushions the gears and bearings better, it has higher shear strength than engine oil

I put HD's 80/140 synthetic in my Freewheeler at the 1k service about a month ago. Did the same thing with my Low Rider when I had it. HD came out with it maybe a year ago. On both the bike and trike it made shifting smoother and neutral easier to find.

FWIW I use Syn 3 in the motor and Formula+ in the primary. I just stuck with HD lube cuz it's easy to get. I'm fairly sure you'd have the same results with Amsoil.

Are you also using the gear oil in your Primary?

Thanks for the info

Amsoil Severe Gear SAE 75W140

Amsoil MVPQT-EA Synthetic V-Twin Primary Fluid

Used that gear oil in my 03 for over 100,000 miles .Will be in the 20 after break in's.

Running the Amsoil 80/140 in mine now. Did it at the 1k service. Using the hd primary fluid in the primary. I think the new hd oil is going to be to heavy for the primary, service manager thought so also. Time will tell... I have run a lot of different gear oils in the trans over the years, some better than others. This is the second bike for the Amsoil, different bikes like different oils, don’t ask me why, lol. I had a 12 RGU that worked better with Bell-Ray than Redline Shockproof, go figure.

Have been running Royal Purple 75W140 gear oil in my 2015 Freewheeler since I bought it. Have also run Redline in other bikes. Both are very good. Shifts smooth and no trouble finding neutral. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 in the engine and primary.

Sunman

Redline Shockproof gear oil in trans for me.

Been running Syn3 in the primary for a few years now, like how it works. But I am going to try the new HD gear oil in the primary...see how it works for me.

Kevin

Will changing to a different brand oils

do anything to the warranty?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png