• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Towing

pddgm

90+ Posts
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has an experience towing a trike with one of the receiver mounted devices that the front wheel mounts in?

s-l500.jpg

Because I have to make a trip and will need the car for part of it and the trike for the second part...also would make it a lot easier to get it to the shop when needed...

Honest Answer......

Truthfully i would advise against it...With a light dirt bike that gets beat up in the dirt anyway maybe ....But with a Trike...?

I have a similar tow hitch from a different manufacturer. However it's not something I'd use on a long haul, as it supposedly puts non typical strain on the frame neck in cornering.

I've used it for towing once, a distance less than 50 miles and it didn't seem to hurt the frame or any other component.

YMMV

towing

I have a similar tow hitch from a different manufacturer. However it's not something I'd use on a long haul, as it supposedly puts non typical strain on the frame neck in cornering.

I've used it for towing once, a distance less than 50 miles and it didn't seem to hurt the frame or any other component.

YMMV

read your manual it will tell you towing without disconecting your belt drive will trash the tranny

That's interesting. I don't know how it would work on your trip but I think it would work for recovery if a bike broke down. Every time we go camping and have a bike gathering I have told my wife if we need to we can break camp and use our trailer that we camp and haul our trike in to go get a broken down trike or bike but something like that would be a lot easier and quicker too. :confused:

That's interesting. I don't know how it would work on your trip but I think it would work for recovery if a bike broke down. Every time we go camping and have a bike gathering I have told my wife if we need to we can break camp and use our trailer that we camp and haul our trike in to go get a broken down trike or bike but something like that would be a lot easier and quicker too. :confused:

Thinking about that too...Would be easier and quicker to get the trike to the shop if riding it's not possible. I have discussed the towing with several mechanics and only a couple thought it would cause damage. Most agreed that if the tranny is in neutral and the front wheel in secured in the cradle, shouldn't be any damage to the trike. I am still looking for one, but like the ones that don't require a ramp.

the one pictured above doesn't look very strong but then it would just be holding up the front end.

Tongue weight would be light on that hitch/tow bar but I'd be concerned about front to back shock loads on the hitch and frame/forks when trike wheels catch a pot hole, etc. Probably not a problem for short (emergency) tows but I'd be leery of cross country tows.

This would also come in handy when you have to take your cage to the mechanics for service. Won't have to wait around while servicing. Go for a ride instead!!!:clapping:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png