Security key fob-Do i need one?

Jan 29, 2020
Glenwood, West Virginia
I recently Bought a 2017 Freehweeler and got three keys with it but no security key fob. Do i need one? Should i buy one and have it progrmaed? I didn't really pay attention until a few days ago. Thanks!

I recently Bought a 2017 Freehweeler and got three keys with it but no security key fob. Do i need one? Should i buy one and have it progrmaed? I didn't really pay attention until a few days ago. Thanks!

I don't know about Freewheelers ....But without the FOB There was no way i could have started my Tri-Glides 2011/2017....Unless i punched in the code...:Shrug:...

I believe on the 2017's, the key fob security system was optional, though most models came with it from the factory. If you didn't get the fobs, it may not have it installed.

I believe on the 2017's, the key fob security system was optional, though most models came with it from the factory. If you didn't get the fobs, it may not have it installed.

Michael is correct If you do not have security you will have # 13 in this picture in place of # 8, both found on top of battery caddy
HD17FLHTCUTG108.gif

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
So you can just turn the ignition on, start the bike and go???? Guessing you needy to lock the ignition every time you get off the bike??? Almost sounds like the PO hid a fob somewhere on the bike so he didn't need to carry it. :Shrug:

So you can just turn the ignition on, start the bike and go???? Guessing you needy to lock the ignition every time you get off the bike??? Almost sounds like the PO hid a fob somewhere on the bike so he didn't need to carry it. :Shrug:

yup..I always lock up anyway. But ill have to look around tomorrow and look at the battery top as well

after looking it doesnt appear i have one..But i keep handle bars and ignition locked all the time so it doesnt matter to me..lol

Good luck. I have found, as I've gotten older, I like certain convenience items.

I don't lock the forks cause if I loose the key/fob, I can start it with the PIN code, but I can't unlock the forks. If I really feel the need, I have a disk lock I can use on the front brake disk.

Since 2011 when i got my first Trike with a FOB...I have yet to carry a key with me....If i have to park somewhere and feel it necessary to lock the trunk and top box i doin't keep anything in them that will cost more than having to replace broken jimmied locks...The FOB got me into the habit of not carrying a key....When i had a Victory i made an invisible key, and never took it out of the ignition switch whenever i parked....With my Slingshot the key stays hidden on it...I even parked at Walmart without taken the key from my Machines...I never have to go fumbling for keys that way..:Shrug:...

Good luck. I have found, as I've gotten older, I like certain convenience items.

I don't lock the forks cause if I loose the key/fob, I can start it with the PIN code, but I can't unlock the forks. If I really feel the need, I have a disk lock I can use on the front brake disk.

Remember, I am a blonde. Don't you need a key to unlock the disk lock?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NILLA
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png