seperating brakes on '93 GL1500

May 8, 2011
peru,in,usa
anyone seperated the brakes on the GL1500? i'd like

to have the front brake lever operate both front rotors, ad the rear brake pedal operate both rear rotors.part numbers/ advice needed

i have a HT 1500 road smith kit

They are separated on a Champion kit.The install instructions detail how to do it.They may still be posted on their site.I have them but not on this computer.I'll try to post when I get on the other one.

California Side Car & Champion both used to put both front brakes on the handlebar using cross over SS lines and rear brakes on rear MC only. I even obtained parts numbers list to do it from CSC located just an hour east over the mountain, but didn't.

My reasoning for not doing it … is I have really good brakes now that I can jump on and not worry about the rear locking prematurely and the trike getting out of shape in an emergency stop … & I have the front brake lever to add to them. If separate, it could get ugly, especially on wet roads.

CSC
used a 2 psi RPV and a sugested rebored (larger) master cylinder on handlebar with the front brakes … and had one move the line for rear brakes over to former front brake port on side on rear MC & plug unused rear port. They used some several SS lines & fittings. As best as I recall, the installer sent your front MC in to be modified, I seen no part number for it.

Champion
used a 3 psi RPV and stock front handler bar MC & crossover lines to do both front brakes, I think they maybe also used a RPV with the rear brake lines which also got moved to the formerly front port at the rear MC.

Motor Trike just had the front and rear lines reversed on the rear MC. (they specifically state in their manual that the rear MC side or "front" port is 60% and the rear or "rear" port is 40% of the rear MC's capacity)

Lehman … just ran rear brakes off a tee without moving lines on the rear MC. It is how mine is.

I have seen it written in places … like in MT's manual … that the GL1500 rear MC put 60% to the front brake and 40% to the rear most port that feeds rear brake lines. Maybe so, I don't know.

I know my Lehman has rear drum brakes with wheel cylinder for like a 1980 Ford Pinto with 9" drums, they work well. I did add a 10 psi Residual Pressure Valve (RPV) in the rear line to keep wheel cylinder seals full, it lets all but 10 psi brake pressure release when you lift your foot, but drum brakes have return springs and can pull the shoes away from drums. You do not want more than 2 or 3 psi RPVs on disc brakes.

I have considered doing the swap of lines at the rear MC as MT does, just running that left front brake on it but at the 40% rear most port, putting my drums on that side located 60% port, leave the right front on the handlebar OEM, but have not yet done so. My left front rotor does wear faster, it takes a beating I think, (so I picked up extras off a lightly wrecked & parted out low miles '97).

Below is all I have now, and it is like 2005 era stuff.

CSC Brake Line Parts

1 - 8" steel brake line (mounted to rear end)

1 - 36" steel brake line (mounted to rear end)

1 - Brass "T" fitting (mounted to rear end)

1 - 26" Braided steel brake line (for front crossover)

1 - 36" Braided line

1 - 22" Braided line

1 - 2 lb residual valve

1 - Banjo bolt (#40509)

1 - 1/4 x 20 nyloc

1 - M10 x 1.25 x 16 long hex head, 2 crush washers

1 - M10 x 1.25 Double banjo bolt (#40508)

I don't have the Champion list broke down, but I did have these items listed:

M10, 3 lb. Res Valve BR-E00-018

Steel Braid Line 24.5" BE-E00-021 front crossover

Double Banjo Bolt BR-G00-001

M10 crush Washers (10) BR-G00-004

Steel Braid Line 23.5" BE-E00-020 rear line

Hex Plug M10x1.25x16 HW-M10-024

All I got.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png