Broken drive belt again

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Stratoliner with 85,000 miles. I broke a second drive belt yesterday and now looking for guidance on WHY. Do trikes need a looser belt? Doing a quick inspection I see no signs of sprocket damage and the belt looks brand new. Going to check sprocket alignment today and remove the front sprocket for a detailed inspection. These belts are not cheap (the first one I had to replace near Michigan and cost $750 (just for the belt) as I was on a group ride). If I can't figure out the problem I may convert to chain drive. Oh, I fabricated the trike myself and didn't install a cush drive.

Hugh hard to say what your problem is but yes the belt can be to tight. Harley suggests about a 1/2 in deflection when about 10lbs of force is put in the middle of the lower belt.

Good luck in your search for the cause. Belt breaking when not caused by a foreign object getting into the belt is unusual.

I like to run belts on the loose side

Too tight has always been a problem not only in breakage but also harder on bearings

I like to run belts on the loose side

Too tight has always been a problem not only in breakage but also harder on bearings

Early Spyder's belts were set too tight per Can-Am specifications and some front sprockets and main shafts were striped...Mine included...

Early Spyder's belts were set too tight per Can-Am specifications and some front sprockets and main shafts were striped...Mine included...

All my HD belts I felt were too tight from the factory

I always adjusted them a bit looser and never had any problems;)

Thank You

I think I will go for a touch looser this time. I was pushing 10 pounds at 1/2" but will go for 3/4". Still planning for a chain drive mod later with a 530 chain as we plan to ride these bikes till the cows come home!!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.Hammers
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png