Back on the road 1999 Valkyrie Interstate

Scott1

Mar 21, 2012
Cranberry Township, PA, USA
My Honda 1999 Valkyrie Interstate with a 2002 Lehman Predator Trike Kit, solid axle, shaft drive, drum brakes. I have been working over the winter months restoring my 1999 Valkyrie Trike. 10 years ago (2009), the engine 1520cc, in my Valkyrie Trike suffered a hydro-lock fuel cylinder problem, a common Valkyrie problem, where fuel leaks into one or more engine cylinders, which when I attempted to start the engine, the starter motor broke off a tooth on the intermediate gear between the starter and the starter/clutch gear. I have never done any internal engine work and now I had to remove the engine to repair the broken gear. In 2009 an independent Honda mechanic wanted $2000, plus parts, to repair the engine and he would only work on it when he had free time. He said 3 to 6 months to fix it. It was riding season, so I parked the Valkyrie and purchased a new left-over 2008 Goldwing (level 3) and had a 2009 Motor Trike kit installed. (My current bike)

Now 10 years later I got out the Honda shop manual, put the Valkyrie on my trike lift and started to remove the engine. I drained the antifreeze and oil, I then removed the seat, fuel tank, air box, radiator pods, radiator hoses, radiator, thermostat, battery, exhaust, starter, alternator, spark plug wires, clutch line, throttle cables, choke cable, and drive shaft. Next, I remove the engine (260 Lbs.), 6 carbonators, the clutch casing, then the clutch. Next removed the back-engine case and now I could see the broken gear. I was told that I had to replace the gears on each side of the broken gear, because they could have been damaged by the broken gear. To remove the gears on each side of the broken gear, I had to grind out 3 locking nuts that were staked on to 3 different shafts that held each gear in place. To work on the engine, I needed to purchase all the special Honda tools listed in the shop manual. Oh, I did find the broken tooth in the bottom of the engine case.

Time to get the new engine parts and start replacing the 3 gears. New parts were clutch gear, intermediate gear, starter gear, shaft lock nuts, shaft bearings, seals and gaskets. After I replaced the gears and torqued the lock nuts, I reassembled the engine and then installed it and reassembled everything that was removed to get the engine out.

Next, I had to fix the cause of the hydro-lock problem. I disassembled and rebuilt all 6 carburetors (every part that could be replaced including the fuel rails), replaced (all new parts) radiator hoses, thermostat, all vacuum hoses, fuel line, spark plugs, added a fuel filter and an electric fuel shutoff valve, a K&N air filter, new vacuum fuel petcock, cleaned the rust and dirt from inside the fuel tank and seal coated the inside of the fuel tank, I removed the Smog System Piping and installed the 6 rebuilt carburetors.

I installed new stainless-steel braided brake lines and clutch line, added dot 4 brake fluid, new antifreeze, oil & filter, drained and filled the rear differential fluid, adjusted the rear drum brakes, rebuilt the front brake calipers, replaced the front disk brake pads. Cleaned the headlight/turn signal switches, added a USB charge port, replaced the battery, added a second fuse block and a second battery in the trunk with an automatic battery isolator, added 3 led light kits (276 Leds total), and added some new safety chrome.

I started the engine and had to balance (sync) the 6 carburetors, put the rear wheels on and cleaned and polish everything. The best part is that the engine started and runs. With what I replaced I should have "almost" a new bike.

Pic2(1).jpg 0326201236 (2).jpg 0326201236e (2).jpg 0326201243a.jpg 0326201237_01.jpg 0326201237e (2).jpg 0326201238a (2).jpg 0326201239_(2).jpg 0326201240.jpg 0326201240e.jpg

Pictures continued.

I didn't keep track of what I spent for this rebuild, but I got a show bike that I'm proud of and it turns the heads of the Harley riders.

Last picture is both of my trikes. White, the good one and Black, the bad ass one. :)

Thanks for viewing my post.

Greg

View attachment 85314 View attachment 85315 View attachment 85316 View attachment 85321 View attachment 85318 View attachment 85317

There is nothing like the Valkyrie, great as two wheels, fantastic as a trike!!!

Gold Wing with Attitude! :D

Yes, 6 carburetors, advanced ignition timing, different cams than a 1500 Goldwing and it does have a deep mean throaty growl to it sound. It has Two Brothers exhaust, 6 into 6 exhaust drag racing pipes, no baffles and I made my own glasspack mufflers that fit into the 2, slip on 5 inch truck stacks with 90 deg. turnouts. It definitely not a Goldwing.:)

Exhaust view on my lift.

.0301200651.jpg 0301200653.jpg 0301200652A.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png