VW Rear Suspension build without cutting up a VW Pan

All, I am wanting to get started on building a simple VW Trike, but I don't like the idea of cutting up VW pans for the rear suspension.

Is there a good place for pictures, ideas or plans for Coil/shock setups or other types of rear suspensions people have come up with?

Thanks,

CH701Builder

Welcome to the site.:clapping:

Unless you can fabricate the framework to support the engine/transaxle assembly, there is no way that I'm aware of to build a VW powered trike without sacrificing the rear framework from the pan assy.

You don't necessarily need the full pan, but getting all of the suspension and shift linkage aligned similar to how it came from the factory would be difficult at best without a "donor" pan to work with.

I would recommend finding a donor that has independent rear suspension (68>up). While they're definitely getting harder to find, parts cars are still out there.

Good luck.

Pete and Kerry,

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I just don't like cutting up a pan just for the mounting portion of the rear suspension.

I will look for something later with an IRS suspension. I currently have a Baja, 66 body on a 69 pan, 1914 with dual 40mm Dellortos' Runs fairly good at my altitude, (house at 9,100' but drive down to Colorado Springs, quite often)

Anyway, thanks for the info, and I'll see what "pans" out..... pun intended!!!

Keith

Super Beetles are a good source for rear suspension/frog-legs. You maybe can find one with front end collision damage that hasn't been bailed yet. Supers are less desirable than Standards so you won't be thinning the herd if you cut one up. Also, there's a lot of rusty pans out there. Don't have to cut up a solid pan.

Beams and brackets are readily available for buggies.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Custom-Rear-Torsion-Housing-IRS-p/5519-11.htm

BA trikes has been out of business for many years now. They did not sell well and could not make a living with them......went back to his regular job (if I remember right at the local power plant).

Of course a swing would be easy.

Look at the mid engine IRS dune buggy parts for an irs.

I just cut up an IRS pan for the torsion tube. Building an odd kit car.....going tube chassis and mid engine with irs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png