LCD screen replacement

Pastor Ron

Jun 14, 2017
Asheville,NC USA
I have a 1999 Wing Aspencade that needs LCD replaced. My mechanic Says he doesn't know how long it will take to replace. Can anyone here (who has done it), tell me how long? Thanks in advance.

I have not done it on a 1500, but, I have done it on an1800.

01 (1).jpeg

02 (1).jpg

03 (1).jpeg

04 (1).jpg

06 (1).jpeg

07 (1).jpeg

08 (1).jpg

10 (4).jpeg

2019-01-21 05.59.18.jpeg

2019-01-21 05.52.34.jpg

It's a fairly involved job, mostly tedious. Took e about three days, probably about 3 hours a day. It was January, so my hands got chilly and I'd quit for the day. You basically need to take off most of the faring ... LOL ... if you re gonna do this, I recommend doing the air cleaner while you have it that far apart.

If you're not used to messing with the gold wing faring, watch some U-tube videos, take pictures as you go and mark everything you take off. There are many screws of different lengths, it you don't mark where they came from you will be guessing when you put it back together. The longer ones will go where the shorter ones should, but, not visa versa. If you use a long one where a short one should be, two things will happen, you won't have enough long ones, and, you might be hitting something with the excess screw length. Also, be careful with the electrical connectors, especially in a 30+ year old bike, they are plastic and do become brittle (the clips that hold them closed). Use dielectric grease when putting it back together. Be very gentle with the ribbon wire to the LCD.

Not trying to scare ya, trying to give you information that will make you successful. The dealers get between $300-500 in labor alone to do this. So, take your time, document everything and you should be fine if you're used to wrenching on a bike. I'd figure a full 8-10 hours maybe more if you take your time.

It's really not that big a deal on the 1500. I did mine a while back. I'd say no longer than 3 hours. You would probably do better to do it yourself. It really does come out nice, looking brand new. You don't realize how bad the old one looks until it is done.

You could change all the bulbs at the same time, and clean up any fog on the acrylic lenses.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png