SiriusXM Modual Antenna

FuzzyWuzHe

Reaction score
As I've stated before, I'm getting old and don't remember all I used to ... LOL.

Up until about a month ago, my SiriusXM radio module was working very well, even would get a signal with the garage door open when I backed the trike into the garage and the garage door was open.

Since that time the reception has been spotty. Going through an underpass will loose the signal, going down a tree lined street will cause it. Lots of other stuff will. It has become a tad annoying.

Along with the issues with the SiriusXM module, I've noticed that I'm getting way more wind buffeting. The only thing I could think of was the new F4 windshield. It's the 12" recurve in clear. The buffeting I'm seeing is mainly coming around the windshield, not over it.

I swapped that shield out for the wind splitter. My thought was the little wings on the side would cut it down. It didn't, on my 60 something mile ride yesterday, I got smacked pretty good by wind coming from my hand area.

I never had these issues with the 15 Tri that I remembered, but, if you've read any of my posts, you know that I have a hard time getting my mind to let anything go. This issue has bugged me for about a month like I said, and last night, I think I hit on the issue.

I've only done two things that could have an effect on this just before these two issues started.

1) Added the F4 windshield, but, that's been removed.

2) Added the windshield trim mounted mirrors.

So around 9pm last night when this dawned on me, I went outside to the garage and looked at the trike. The windshield trim that these mirrors mount to is bulky and I believe machined aluminum or maybe pot metal that has been chromed. I did have issues with SiriusXM on the 15 when I put these mirrors on the 15 tri, but, moving the antenna up onto the top of the dash solved that.

I think that bulky trim is blocking the SiriusXM Radio reception (maybe between 2015 to and 2020, HD bulked up that trim) and the mirrors being right over my hands is pushing the wing towards me. Today, I'm gonna remove that trim and mirrors and go back to my old ugly, but, faithful mirrors. I'll even put the F4 back on. If the two issues go away, I've got it figured out.

Old Faithful Mirrors

2019-03-19 15.32.06.jpeg

Windshield Mounted Mirrors

2020-01-26 11.53.05.jpg

I'm thinking the mirrors being tucked in close to the wind shield are creating wind tunnel effects that are beating me up. I don't remember these doing that on the 15 tri, but, I only had these for a short time on the 15 tri, before I lost it and it was in the dead of summer. Guessing when it was really hot I may have liked the wind and not noticed it as much. I also can't see as well behind me with these mirrors, better than the just stock ones, but, not as well as my modded ugly ones :Shrug:.

I'd be curious to see if anyone with these mirrors is experiencing any of the same effects. Could just be my fat body is catching more of the wind ... LOL. I'll report back after I make the change and get a ride in.

As I've stated before, I'm getting old and don't remember all I used to ... LOL.

I'm getting so old that when i do remember what i forgot to remember ., I will forget what i forgot to remember again...Probably pay back from drinking out of a garden hose on a hot summer day.... .:xzqxz:.....

Update on SiriusXM and Wind

Okay, so I took the bulky windshield trim mirrors off and put th ugly functional one on. I also was looking in my windshield boxes for the F4 12" recurve. Came across a 12" recurve "light" tint LRS wind shield fro the 15 tri. Always thought it was too dark for me, but, thought what the heck, if I still don't like it, I can always put the F4 12" Clear recurve shield on. I'm guessing that will be were I land.

I'm guessing the LRS Shield was on maybe a week at the most on the 15 tri. I remember thinking immediately I didn't like it, pretty much the same reaction today ... but, it was on, so I went for a ride.

As for the SiriusXM, no more ultra sensitive antenna. I was caught under a train underpass at a red light. Sirius played clean the whole time. When the light turned green, I did get a blip were it quit for less than a second. Far bette than it's been for awhile.

Next was to test the wind. Went for about 4o miles, 10 of them at highway speeds. I still get a touch of wind racing past my sides, but, the head buffeting is gone. I'm guessing the mirrors being pulled in tight to the windshield really created the wind tunnel effect. :Shrug:

Anyway, came home to get some lunch and get some more to drink. Going back out and will get some pics of the mirror LRS shield combo.

Went for another ride ... no issues ... guess it was the mirrors.

From the front

IMG_0009.jpeg

From the back

IMG_0008.jpg

So, guess I'm back to having the "images in this mirror may appear closer than they are" being upside down :Shrug:

This is good information to have. I can't find the trim mount mirrors for my 2010, was going to mod something together. I hadn't thought about the antenna, but mine is on the left side on the small mount shelf there, and right now it's working 99% of the time, I usually only get blips when I go under interstate bridges and stuff out on I10.

Thanks for the post!

Found the stock antenna can be tempermental at times.

Used this antenna in the past which worked better.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/siriusxm-motorcycle-antenna-with-harley-davidson-fakra-adapter/#tab-review[/FONT]

What a shame Alan. I always thought those Windshield Mounted Mirrors were great looking. At least you have your tunes back :D.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png