• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Knocking noise on the back of the trike

Halfnormal

Reaction score
Since I purchased this trike, I have been hearing a "knocking" noise that I thought was the engine but now I know it is from the back. It is only at idle and intermittent. I am leaning towards the exhaust hitting the trunk but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks!

Since I purchased this trike, I have been hearing a "knocking" noise that I thought was the engine but now I know it is from the back. It is only at idle and intermittent. I am leaning towards the exhaust hitting the trunk but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks!

You might check the "Z" pipe to ensure it's not touching the swing arm. If so, loosen the clamps and turn it a bit to allow more clearance. Also check the parking brake bracket, if the cable is taping against something, it would most likely do that so you can hear it mostly when at idle.

Sure does sound like something is misaligned or loose. I'd carefully check all fasteners and look for anything that could be touching / rubbing. Might be witness marks there.

Yep........Check the ''Z'' and all components of the exhaust /..

Also if you only hear it Only when you are sitting on it, Most likely it is the exhaust...

Another thing it could be...and this has happened with me on several bikes...

There is a rubber isolator at the mounting point at the end of the slip-on mufflers.

There are several things that can happen there-

1. The bolts holding it can be loose

2. The isolator can slip out of place, letting the mufflers bang around

3. Those rubber isolators do wear out, becoming loose and let the mufflers bang around.

Hope you get it tracked down...those odd noises can be irritating.

Kevin

Just in case.......Now this is just out in left field mind you , With my 2011 Tri..The two bolts 9/16 holding the tie-link on the front cylinder head would work lose and make a noise like an exhaust pipe hitting....That was a very common problem ....It might be a good thing to check those bolts anyway i had to carry a 9/16 box wrench with me cause they would loosen frequently .....Till i found a permanent fix....

Just in case.......Now this is just out in left field mind you , With my 2011 Tri..The two bolts 9/16 holding the tie-link on the front cylinder head would work lose and make a noise like an exhaust pipe hitting....That was a very common problem ....It might be a good thing to check those bolts anyway i had to carry a 9/16 box wrench with me cause they would loosen frequently .....Till i found a permanent fix....

And if left loose for long, bad ju ju, the bolts can and do break off;)

More bad Ju Ju, but it does not surprise me any more

There are a lot of hacks working @ dealerships

Agree with that Jack. But even the good techs are working on several bikes at a time as they wait for parts, waiting on authorization for warranty repairs, waiting to let customer know the problem and get authorization for repair, etc., etc., contributes to this. As they move from project to project back and forth it is easy to overlook something. Not to excuse them . . . far from it but just sayin'. That's why I absolutely prefer to do my own work when I can and when I can't I check and double check what they've done.

Had a friend who took his Ultra in for a new rear tire. Like me he left his saddlebags at home lest they get damaged. A block from the shop he stopped for gas and spied a box wrench still on the axle nut. Oops!

Agree with that Jack. But even the good techs are working on several bikes at a time as they wait for parts, waiting on authorization for warranty repairs, waiting to let customer know the problem and get authorization for repair, etc., etc., contributes to this. As they move from project to project back and forth it is easy to overlook something. Not to excuse them . . . far from it but just sayin'. That's why I absolutely prefer to do my own work when I can and when I can't I check and double check what they've done.

Had a friend who took his Ultra in for a new rear tire. Like me he left his saddlebags at home lest they get damaged. A block from the shop he stopped for gas and spied a box wrench still on the axle nut. Oops!

I got a few free tools from mechanics over the years...;)...And the occasional grease stain.......It happens...:Shrug:..

Better than scratched paint or a broken lens (glued back together)...yeah, that's happened to my bike at a dealership.

Kevin

I had a 1980 FLH I dropped off @ a dealership for a rear tire. After a couple of hours I called to check, the shop manager said I got some bad news, your bike fell off the lift. To add insult he was quoting me how much it was going to cost me for the repairs. This dealership was 1 and a half miles from my home. I walked up there real fast, and after a few choice words I gave them 2 hours to make my bike right and I was NOT paying the bill. Nuff said and I NEVER went back to that dealership

Knock

Could be the PAN ROD........had it happen on my 2010......replaced on warranty!

:Dorag:

Knocking Noise

YES my 2018 Trike has a GAWD awful knocking noise coming from the back. My wife who has better ears than I do thinks it is my Vance and Hines Exhaust hitting the frame or chassis...Took it to the Stealer in Boise and they said it was normal and common with After Market exhaust.....However they made no attempt to solve the loud knock. I put rubber bumpers on the Rear Brake cables where they seemed to hit the Frame...No Change. I can not find anywhere where the Exhaust hits anything. I think I need to be on the Trike or have someone of equal or more weight so maybe I can see a contact point.....Very aggravating sound>>>>Please let me know if you find the knock location.

GARY

Could be the PAN ROD........had it happen on my 2010......replaced on warranty!

:Dorag:
If it is the Panhard rod bad you can shake the trike sideways and hear the ends click at least I believe it will. Also possible rubber isolators on the mufflers are out of place missing or defective. Those are tuff to see unless you are under the trike and know what your looking at. Good luck keep us posted. :good: Travel safe Fred

Have you done anything to the exhaust lately? Check that the rear piece of heat shields is not hitting the frame. There is only about 1/8 inch of clearance between the heat shield and the frame.

Have you done anything to the exhaust lately?

I purchased the trike used with 5000 miles and a lot of custom upgrades done. It has had this "knock" since owning it.

It is at my son's house for the winter so I will not be getting around to looking at the issue until this weekend.

A quick update. Repositioned the rubber mounts on the exhaust. Did a 100 mile ride and the knock is still there. Will have to do a more thorough investigation when I can lift the bike and get a better look.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png