Check Out Harley TV

Very, very interesting Jack. Don't know when it was made as Willie G. is in his late 80s now so the video was a while ago. I had the pleasure to meet and even ride with Willie G. and Nancy on several occasions back when H.O.G. was doing their great Posse Rides and other national rides. Nice folks and really committed to the motor company and I felt to all us riders. I don't think he viewed us a customers to be exploited for maximum profit but rather brothers and sisters in the sport to be nourished and appreciated. By doing that the moco would and did prosper.

It is a shame all good things must end because when the moco lost Willie G.'s influence I think that really accelerated the slide they have experienced. Having an old gray beard around to keep the young 'ens in line ain't all bad. You don't see someone like Willie G. from companies like Honda, BMW, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, etc., He was and is special.

Willie G gave us a lot in new designs;) Too bad The MOCO cannot find someone with his caliber today:confused: IMO The MOCO has destroyed The Lowrider and the Dyna line by going to The Softail platform. I understand the logistics I just don't accept why they put an end to the Dyna Chassis. Remembering the Dynas being some of the smoothest riding bikes and also The Moco platform for new and improved drive trains

The part where they said Willie G would give everyone a nickname i know to be true.My cousin was head Marketing manager for Magnetti Marelli when HD first developed their fuel injection and he spent a lot of time at the factory with Willie G and Willie G nicknamed my cousin Injecto Man.

Kewl, but, I wonder what Willie G thinks about where the Company is heading ... I guarantee the fore fathers of HD are really upset with manufacturing overseas.:Shrug:

I wonder how the global market will respond after the virus? My guess is H D will suffer huge losses not only here at home but certainly abroad. Yeah, I doubt the founding fathers would have wanted to see their great American company building bikes in India and Brazil. It is bad enough they sought their front Showa forks from Japan. At 1 time they ( The MOCO) had a line of parts including oil filters made in Taiwan. This was the Eagle Iron parts. Remember them? Later in life they became The Screaming Eagle Parts

s-l300.jpg

As for manufacturing facilities overseas I think there is defensible logic and financial reasons to place production closer to the market. Compare that to the 'foreign' auto manufacturers who have located production facilities in the US - Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Suburu, Volkswagen, BMW, Hyundai, Kia and Fiat Chrysler. We applaud them for production here. Now if the moco were making motorcycles overseas to export for sale here in the US - well that's quite a different story.

As for outsourcing parts and accessories well that's been going on for decades. Remember when it was 'just' Japan, then Taiwan, well you get the idea. I think this Covid-19 situation will cause us and hopefully those who can make or influence decisions to bring a lot of that back home in the name of self sufficiency.

x2 on what Jerry said, above. Assembling of bikes where you sell them, makes more economical sense for the corporate bean counters.

Although offshore sales figures must continue in an upward trend, in order to support the offshore facilities that ultimately make financial bank for the MoCo.

Also agree with Jack that HD needs a "Willie G" type to bring a face to a corporate conglomerate.

Without one, HD is just like all other motorcycle manufacturers.

Hard to believe the founding families of the great motorcycle company don't have anyone left to "carry the torch" for the MoCo, going forward...:Shrug:

x2 on what Jerry said, above. Assembling of bikes where you sell them, makes more economical sense for the corporate bean counters.

Although offshore sales figures must continue in an upward trend, in order to support the offshore facilities that ultimately make financial bank for the MoCo.

Also agree with Jack that HD needs a "Willie G" type to bring a face to a corporate conglomerate.

Without one, HD is just like all other motorcycle manufacturers.

Hard to believe the founding families of the great motorcycle company don't have anyone left to "carry the torch" for the MoCo, going forward...:Shrug:

Well they do have Bill Davidson, great grandson of William A. Davidson, but he is pretty much relegated to the museum. And they have his sister, Karen Davidson, who created the motorclothes division. Important as both these are it is not like what Willie G. was. But it does give some continuity and buy in to the family tradition.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png