Wax

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Reaction score
This will end up like a oil thread im sure lol,so i bought a bottle of the Mequires Hybrid Ceramic wax been wanting to try it,so i followed the instructions for the first application which is wash bike then spray onto wet paint then wipe off with a dry towel.

So i started with the front fairing and noticed that the running lights had a slight milky look to it before wiping it off,once wiped off and dry it was shiny.So being concerned about using it around the black on the engine i covered the engine components with a towel when spraying the tank.After i got it completely dry the paint looked wet it was so shiny.

So i sent Mequires a email about using it on the engine an the answer surprised me a little they really wouldn't say if i should or shouldn't. Has anyone ever used the Mequires and what were the results if you sprayed it on the engine,i have heard about F11 Top Coat but refuse to pay the price.Thanks.

This will end up like a oil thread im sure lol,so i bought a bottle of the Mequires Hybrid Ceramic wax been wanting to try it,so i followed the instructions for the first application which is wash bike then spray onto wet paint then wipe off with a dry towel.So i started with the front fairing and noticed that the running lights had a slight milky look to it before wiping it off,once wiped off and dry it was shiny.So being concerned about using it around the black on the engine i covered the engine components with a towel when spraying the tank.After i got it completely dry the paint looked wet it was so shiny.So i sent Mequires a email about using it on the engine an the answer surprised me a little they really wouldn't say if i should or shouldn't. Has anyone every used the Mequires and what were the results if you sprayed it on the engine,i have heard about F11 Top Coat but refuse to pay the price.Thanks.

I've been thinking this might be an easier to apply ceramic. I'd be interested to know how it holds up and how long the whole process took? As for the engine, I'd be Leary, just because "sealing" the engine might affect heat transfer. Not sure about that. I did not do the engine with the McKeys, and frankly, not sure how you could. The nooks and crannies would be a bugger.

This will end up like a oil thread im sure lol,so i bought a bottle of the Mequires Hybrid Ceramic wax been wanting to try it,so i followed the instructions for the first application which is wash bike then spray onto wet paint then wipe off with a dry towel.So i started with the front fairing and noticed that the running lights had a slight milky look to it before wiping it off,once wiped off and dry it was shiny.So being concerned about using it around the black on the engine i covered the engine components with a towel when spraying the tank.After i got it completely dry the paint looked wet it was so shiny.So i sent Mequires a email about using it on the engine an the answer surprised me a little they really wouldn't say if i should or shouldn't. Has anyone every used the Mequires and what were the results if you sprayed it on the engine,i have heard about F11 Top Coat but refuse to pay the price.Thanks.

I've been thinking this might be an easier to apply ceramic. I'd be interested to know how it holds up and how long the whole process took? As for the engine, I'd be Leary, just because "sealing" the engine might affect heat transfer. Not sure about that. I did not do the engine with the McKeys, and frankly, not sure how you could. The nooks and crannies would be a bugger.

I'm thinking of trying the Mequires on the Jeep.

Time wise maybe a half hour longer then it took to wash and dry the trike,but since you are waxing as you dry it does save waxing time.keep in mind you still have to wax the engine covers.

Mykneeshurtin, that user name always gets my attention......So what did you do, or are you doing? Did you get them fixed or what, if anything?

40 plus years as a toolmaker,standing on concrete for 10 hours a day has taken its toll on my hips and knees.Just had my right knee replaced this January so once it gets completely healed i should change my screen name to my one knee be hurtin. Plus it was a play on words as to why i switched to a trike.

Good answer, I've had work on both hips, guess the knees will be next, no fun there but it is what it is, no complaints, I can still ride.

My experience with waxes is the easier they are to apply, the less time they will stand up to soap and water. Paste wax usually lasts the longest. Anybody else notice this?

PC

My experience with waxes is the easier they are to apply, the less time they will stand up to soap and water. Paste wax usually lasts the longest. Anybody else notice this?

PC

I have used Turtle wax Black Box wax on my Road Glide and both my black trikes,very time consuming to apply but always did a good job .Since this was supposed to be after the first application a wash,rinse,spray on wax then rinse and dry i thought i would give it a try.

I've wondered if waxes are better than the popular ceramic polymers. Those make it look so easy compared to waxes.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

I've wondered if waxes are better than the popular ceramic polymers. Those make it look so easy compared to waxes.:Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

I have always used carnauba wax .. then touch up with one of the spray on wax cleaners (the Honda one is my favorite ... shhhh ... don't tell the Harley guys).

When Kevin at DK did his truck and tri, I thought, what the heck. Try it (no pun intended). It is a bit of work, actually, more tedious than work. But, I will say, the results are spectacular. I did the tri just over a year ago, like March 2019. It has held up very well. I haven't done any subsequent waxing or Honda Cleaner.

01 Right Rear Fender.jpg

I really like riding, shining, not so much. I like that I can get the black beast all covered in bugs and just wash it at a wand wash and the bugs are 90% gone. There might be a tad of residue on the worst of them. If I really want to make it look good, I actually wipe it with a rag after the soap is on, rinse with the spot free rinse, then blow dry it with the worx battery powered blower.

My brain has wondered if I put McKey's Carnauba wax over the ceramic??? But, I've not been brave enough to test that theory .. LOL.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LTCBB77
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png