If water pump breaks

Rode my 16 from SD back to Ohio to my dealer. Got the new improved (haha) pump installed. No problems riding it back. I guess in stop & go traffic it would be worse.

Well, I called the original purchase dealer and they got me right in and are fixing a couple other things they noticed as well. All warranty work. I’ll be riding it home soon. I did tell them I called another dealer though. Lol.

Is HD fixing these bikes that are out of warrenty ? Even all the way back to 15 ? I know i think they should, after all it's a crappy designed pump.

No, they don't cover the pump if out of warranty. I have a '15 Triglide that I bought in '19. Pump went out at 17,000 miles on way home from out west. My dealer gave me 15% off parts out of the goodness of their hearts, 2 1/2 months after I purchased it. NO help from Harley.

Also, the technician that checked the pump on my way home talked to an engineer from the factory. He was told what most have been saying. When pump quits, it becomes a regular air cooled engine and won't hurt to ride it home. Just get it fixed when back home.

No, they don't cover the pump if out of warranty. I have a '15 Triglide that I bought in '19. Pump went out at 17,000 miles on way home from out west. My dealer gave me 15% off parts out of the goodness of their hearts, 2 1/2 months after I purchased it. NO help from Harley.

Also, the technician that checked the pump on my way home talked to an engineer from the factory. He was told what most have been saying. When pump quits, it becomes a regular air cooled engine and won't hurt to ride it home. Just get it fixed when back home.

Thank you Jack for your good information...now I won't have an anxiety attack, not if but when my pump craps out on my '16. :clapping:

Hey 'Jack.........Welcome To Trike-Talk...........:wave4::wave4:....

Pretty sure it depends on HOW the pump breaks. I learned from experience you do NOT want any air introduced into the coolant tract. If air does get in the coolant tract, the engine will get too hot.

Not sure what happens if it breaks and there is no leaking...ie. no air is introduced into the coolant.

Here are a couple of videos of my experience with the cooling system-

Forum will only let me post one video at a time...next video is in the next post.

Kevin

There is also what looks like a "red thermometer" light beside the " check engine"lite that will come on.

Went out for a ride last night on my 2020 Tri Glide, security light was coming on an off while riding. Then 5 minutes later the engine temperature and engine warning light came on. Throwing DTC codes concerning the fans. Did the fan check and fan are not working. So it will be towed into Alamo Harley tomorrow morning. This is third time it been in the shop since purchase 4 months ago. Starting to hit my frustration level. (Oil Leaks and ABS)

I was wondering if my water pump broke how far I could ride it

Like the man said it's an air-cooled engine. The water cooled heads are for rider comfort not engine longevity. Of course get it fixed but it will not harm the motor to ride it home or to the dealer

Here's a video on the nuts and bolts of the Twin Cooled System.

If you want to see what Harley Corporate says about a coolant pump breaking, skip to the 17:36 mark in the video below.

Kevin

I watched the video....And when i got to the part you guys adding Anti Frezze i can't help to think about the old joke about how people it takes to change a light bulb...:laugh:.:laugh:

But all kidding aside.....The Video was very informative...ThumbUp..

I watched the video....And when i got to the part you guys adding Anti Frezze i can't help to think about the old joke about how people it takes to change a light bulb...:laugh:.:laugh:

But all kidding aside.....The Video was very informative...ThumbUp..

Yeah, it was a cluster for sure....plus messing with the camera. :laugh:

Glad you found the video useful. I learned a lot from the experience...including, there is yet another thing that so many dealerships tell people wrong on.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png