If water pump breaks

I asked this question to a master tech and his answer was.... Its still a air cooled engine as long as you dont get stuck in slow moving traffic,traffic jam situation.He told me i could ride it 500 miles if i wanted to,keep in mind it only cools around the exhaust valves and not the whole engine.With running Love Jugs i would have no worries if i was 500 miles from home and mine went out.

I asked this question to a master tech and his answer was.... Its still a air cooled engine as long as you dont get stuck in slow moving traffic,traffic jam situation.He told me i could ride it 500 miles if i wanted to,keep in mind it only cools around the exhaust valves and not the whole engine.With running Love Jugs i would have no worries if i was 500 miles from home and mine went out.

Yup what he said. I have the fan disengaged. I have used all of DK'S solutions for heat and have had nothing but good results even in three digit temps. I would contact DK and see what they have to offer or take a peek at their web site. There is a lot of information.

Water pump

Thank you for the information on the water pump. I am going to Americade in July and didn't know how far I could go if the water pump went.

Just for info , the pre 2016 pumps were re tooled. It’s not a recall ,but a silent recall. In other words they will replace the bad ones at N/C for a limited time. It even has a different part #.

I am the contrarian here but personally I wouldn't ride if the water pump broke. I don't think the wet head design is engineered for air cooling as the strictly air cooled motors are. And the passage for the water when not circulating will not dissipate heat but tend to lock it in. The M8s for sure were never designed to be only air cooled - either wet head or oil head. I just don't think it's a good idea . . . but I could be wrong.
smiley%20confused.gif

I was told when I first got my 15, the water pump died like in a week, I could ride up to 200 miles a ride without voiding the warrantee. Not sure that's written anywhere, but, I had a new pump in like 4 days. It was December so it wasn't a big deal.

My pump broke in Ottawa Ontario a couple years ago at the HOG rally. No dealer had one. When I asked If I could ride it home (Chicago) the service manager said "Hell yes, it's an air cooled Harley. Just stay away from bumper to bumper traffic".

Which I did for 330 miles all the way to Buffalo, NY where I found a dealer that had a pump. I would have ridden all the way to Chicago if I had to.

Every dealer I've asked that question since, all said yes you can still ride.

My pump broke in Ottawa Ontario a couple years ago at the HOG rally. No dealer had one. When I asked If I could ride it home (Chicago) the service manager said "Hell yes, it's an air cooled Harley. Just stay away from bumper to bumper traffic".

Which I did for 330 miles all the way to Buffalo, NY where I found a dealer that had a pump. I would have ridden all the way to Chicago if I had to.

Every dealer I've asked that question since, all said yes you can still ride.

I don't doubt one bit what you say and what the dealers have told you . . . and I've heard the same thing. But the dealers as we all know will say and do most anything. After all it ain't their nickel involved should trouble arise. I'd be interested in what mother Harley has to say (in writing) on the subject. I sincerely doubt they would give a green light to ride with the water pump inoperative. Just my $.02 and I can and have been wrong.

I don't doubt one bit what you say and what the dealers have told you . . . and I've heard the same thing. But the dealers as we all know will say and do most anything. After all it ain't their nickel involved should trouble arise. I'd be interested in what mother Harley has to say (in writing) on the subject. I sincerely doubt they would give a green light to ride with the water pump inoperative. Just my $.02 and I can and have been wrong.

I'd be very interested in what H-D Corp. has to say also. When you think about it, it's only a small portion of the engine that is water cooled. I don't see any major problem with that area being water or air cooled under normal conditions for a short time. I certainly don't mean racing or extreme uses.

I would think the dealers would say just the opposite = they would want you to buy a new pump, not send you on your way.

I bet the Harley engineers did extensive testing for just this scenario and would have said "Under NO circumstances operate without a working pump - PERIOD" if this was the case.

I listen to all those riders that have, myself included, ridden hundreds of miles without a problem. I would not hesitate to do so again if I was in trouble in the middle of nowhere.

Seeing how litigious our society is, I wouldn't blame H-D for saying "Under no
circumstances, ride with the water pump inoperative".

JMHO

I was told when I first got my 15, the water pump died like in a week, I could ride up to 200 miles a ride without voiding the warrantee. Not sure that's written anywhere, but, I had a new pump in like 4 days. It was December so it wasn't a big deal.

Question, how would I know if the water pump and the cooling system is working "normally " or if something is broken, are there any indicators or other warnings that will tell me that there is a problem that needs attention since there are no water temp gauges to my knowledge, this is the first bike I've had that's been twin cooled, thanks

If you water pump is inoperative it will throw a DTC code and the engine check light will come on. To check it yourself turn you bike's ignition on with the engine run / stop switch in the run position. Do not start but hold the throttle about half way for a few seconds. The cooling fans and the water pump will energize. You can feel the air from the fans and can put your hand on the water pump cover to feel for vibration that it is running.

If you water pump is inoperative it will throw a DTC code and the engine check light will come on. To check it yourself turn you bike's ignition on with the engine run / stop switch in the run position. Do not start but hold the throttle about half way for a few seconds. The cooling fans and the water pump will energize. You can feel the air from the fans and can put your hand on the water pump cover to feel for vibration that it is running.

Thank you, very helpful, exactly what I was looking for

Add me to this list as well. 2 miles down the road this morning heading to work, my temp light and CEL light came on. Turned around and came back to the house. Logged into my FP3 and got the P1019 code. Did the fan and pump test and fans came on but the pump didn't. Guess I'll call the dealer when they open and use my SA again. Dammit.

out in Utah a couple yrs. ago & my pump went out. Rode it all the way home to il. No problems what so ever. Maybe I was just lucky? When I got home I smacked it with a mallet & it worked until I traded it a 1 1/2 yrs later! Go figure

Called another dealer other than the one I bought the trike from. They will be here about lunch to pick it up, fix it and bring it back, all under warranty. Can't beat that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png