Oil Change

Sully

Trike Talk Executive Chef
Mar 23, 2014
Kennesaw, Ga.
I know what the Dealer and Handbook says, but as a Question for you. How often do you change your Oil and what do you use ?? If you have the Dealer change your oil, what do they charge ??

Thanks, Sully

I use Lucas straight 50 weight full syn in my 17 since my garage is heated and extreme cold riding for me is long gone.I change it every 5000 miles and i haven't let a dealer change my fluids in more than 30 years.

2,500 Miles or Winter which ever comes first.

Mobile 1 V Twin great oil it's available most everywhere in case you need it. I have never needed to but well you know... And I do my own oil change the hardest part is cleaning up the oil on front of the motor from the filter(K&N) they have a nut on them. I have no idea what a dealer would charge. :good: Fred

I'm currently using Redline in the engine every 5,000 miles, but had great success with Lucas also, both 20W/50. As far as filters, I have used HD's 5 micron, Mobil 1 extended services & K&N, all seem fine.

Redline Shockproof in the Tranny, as I have found nothing better, changed at 10,000 miles.

I'm finishing up a supply of HD oil I got free in the primary, changed every 5,000 miles, then switching to Redline primary fluid.

I change my oil most often around 3,500 miles. We have a lot of fine sand in the air here in Jacksonville Florida. I can feel it on my face:p I dunno about a dealership charge, I do ALL my own fluid services, and keep very good records.

​It looks like everybody has a different opinion on how often to change their engine oil and what brand to use, Sully.

I've used Mobil 1 15W50 (since about 1990) as it's pretty easy to find. Every oil change I send a sample into Blackstone Lab and the response I seem to always get back is: "after 5,000 miles there are enough additives left I could go another 2,000 miles". But like many Harley riders I continue to change oil at 5,000 miles. Kinda anal, ain't I.

PC

I change my Oil & Oil Filter every 5000 miles or once a year. I use Rotella T6, 5-40 Synthetic Oil and a Purolator Pure One PL14610 Oil Filter. Total cost is less then $30 dollars.

Gideon just answered a question I have. I’m getting ready to change the oil on my 95 GW for

the first time. Years back when I was riding heavy of 2 wheels I was using Rotella T6 also. Now I just have to find the Purolator filter I need.

After moving on from my GW trike to the 2020 Spyder RTL, I'm changing mine at 6K with Rotella T6. Book says every 9K but for me, that's too long so I'll go with my gut feeling at 9K.

I run 20-50 year round. I never waste money on synthetic.( Never heard of engine failure on a Wing anyway), change every 4500-5000 miles. Use Castrol GTX. Used it on all 9 Wings that I've owned. I ride 12-13,000 a year every year. Use Honda filters. Buy them on Amazon for big savings then from my local dealer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png