GL1800 WITH dct ISSUES?

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
Just curious to get some feedback from anyone who has bought a 2018 wing or newer Goldwing. If you've owned a GL1800 2017 or older, Do you like the new one better?

I've seen posts where people have had electrical issues. Whether that is trike kit install related or not is that true for you? Any fixes out yet?

How about passenger comfort. My wife sat on one and the grab bars seemed very low and not a lot of room to get her hands around them. Did you find that to be the case? How about wind buffeting for the passenger?

If you could do it again would you still get the newer model or a late model 2017 or older?

Is the seat more comfortable or less than the previous models?

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks

I have a new (2019) DCT Tour with the CSC Encore conversion. We LOVE this trike. Previous was a 2013 GL1800 with the Hannigan Transformer conversion and it was nice but the CSC is much better. Had the Baker passenger grabrails installed at the time of the conversion along with Heli Bar risers for me, so both the passenger and I are quite comfortable. Added some goodies (F4 +4 windshield, Ciro highway pegs and Baker wings. Only 1K miles into it and I couldn't be happier with the exception of the DCT having some shifting issues under full power from a standing stop, but this has now been resolved.

This topic is discussed in this thread:

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57003-2018-DCT-Tour-CSC-Encore-Update

Other than that, (a minor annoyance which is now remedied) this trike ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

Just curious to get some feedback from anyone who has bought a 2018 wing or newer Goldwing. If you've owned a GL1800 2017 or older, Do you like the new one better?

I've seen posts where people have had electrical issues. Whether that is trike kit install related or not is that true for you? Any fixes out yet?

How about passenger comfort. My wife sat on one and the grab bars seemed very low and not a lot of room to get her hands around them. Did you find that to be the case? How about wind buffeting for the passenger?

If you could do it again would you still get the newer model or a late model 2017 or older?

Is the seat more comfortable or less than the previous models?

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks

My first 2018 DCT Tour was in September of 2018. Put over 13,000 miles on it and decided to trike it. After getting prices on CSC Encore trike kit installed, I almost cancelled the plan. I mean my bike was 18 months old with over 13k miles and they wanted me to spend at least $20k to trike it.

Then my dealer suggested I trade it in for a ready to go CSC trike. I' m thinking, how and the heck is that going to be any better. Well, by the time I got thru negotiating, I was able to get the 2018 DCT Tour Encore trike with all the upgrades, keep all my $2000 worth of upgrades on my bike and get a new 8 year full warranty all for $22,000.

I considered that a win win for me for sure. Anyway, I did get Wingsoft to redo the complete seat on my bike before I considered trading it. I did install the F4 biggest windshield last year at the rally. I also got to keep the passenger armrests for my wife and the special cup holders and the foot pegs and boards. I am happy as can be with this trike. Except for the minor glitch in the shifting pattern now, everything is great. And the glitch is fixing to be taken care of anyway.

I have a new (2019) DCT Tour with the CSC Encore conversion. We LOVE this trike. Previous was a 2013 GL1800 with the Hannigan Transformer conversion and it was nice but the CSC is much better. Had the Baker passenger grabrails installed at the time of the conversion along with Heli Bar risers for me, so both the passenger and I are quite comfortable. Added some goodies (F4 +4 windshield, Ciro highway pegs and Baker wings. Only 1K miles into it and I couldn't be happier with the exception of the DCT having some shifting issues under full power from a standing stop.

This topic is discussed in this thread:

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/57003-2018-DCT-Tour-CSC-Encore-Update

Other than that, (a minor annoyance) this trike ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

I see you’re from Massachusetts. I am also and was curious who did the trike conversion. There aren’t many places that do that around here.

I see you’re from Massachusetts. I am also and was curious who did the trike conversion. There aren’t many places that do that around here.

I bought the trike from Nault's in Windham. One of my fellow GWRRA chapter members had purchased a Hannigan DCT trike there so I went to talk to the salesman about trading my trike in. They already had a CSC conversion on order for a bike they had in house so my waiting was minimal. They had their CSC tech from the Manchester store come down and train the techs in Windham on the conversion. So far I'm 1200 miles into it and couldn't be happier.

I bought the trike from Nault's in Windham. One of my fellow GWRRA chapter members had purchased a Hannigan DCT trike there so I went to talk to the salesman about trading my trike in. They already had a CSC conversion on order for a bike they had in house so my waiting was minimal. They had their CSC tech from the Manchester store come down and train the techs in Windham on the conversion. So far I'm 1200 miles into it and couldn't be happier.

I don't trust the dealers near me so I had some work done at their Wyndham location late last year. I find them to be very professional and do quality work. If I'd known that they build trikes I probably would have bought one there instead of Alabama but I'm very satisfied with the trike I bought. The only thing Nault's did that I didn't like was they thought 24 psi for the rear tires was too low and increased it to 36 psi. On the ride home I felt like I was going to fly right off the road. Bike was bouncing all over the place. Lowered the pressure the minute I got home.

I don't trust the dealers near me so I had some work done at their Wyndham location late last year. I find them to be very professional and do quality work. If I'd known that they build trikes I probably would have bought one there instead of Alabama but I'm very satisfied with the trike I bought. The only thing Nault's did that I didn't like was they thought 24 psi for the rear tires was too low and increased it to 36 psi. On the ride home I felt like I was going to fly right off the road. Bike was bouncing all over the place. Lowered the pressure the minute I got home.

36 lbs in the rear tires on a Trike is WAY to much. I never run over 24

I bought a new 2019 Wing in December but couldn't ride it because of Ohio weather until I took it to Florida in March. Love the bike. Love the automatic tranny. Concerned some about oil changes, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Can a remote antenna from a portable XM unit plug into the bike for XM Sirius reception?

2. Would a 40 weight hurt the performance of the tranny if used

I've added a nice luggage rack, F4 and new handrails for my partner and thinking about handlebar set backs. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png