FNG question

majicmike

May 17, 2020
Angier NC
How do I know what trike conversion I have? Just bought my first. 95 GW 1500. Rear wheels had some rust and tires were worn, lucky I found some really nice Champion wheels with like new tires locally off a O6. Of coarse they don’t fit. ( 2 different 4 lug patterns on the wheel) but neither fit. I. An get the pattern figured out. Knowing the conversion will help with future issues, so let me know your thoughts.

How do I know what trike conversion I have? Just bought my first. 95 GW 1500. Rear wheels had some rust and tires were worn, lucky I found some really nice Champion wheels with like new tires locally off a O6. Of coarse they don’t fit. ( 2 different 4 lug patterns on the wheel) but neither fit. I. An get the pattern figured out. Knowing the conversion will help with future issues, so let me know your thoughts.

Pictures of trike, and measure bolt circle (being 4 lug, center to center opposite lugs).

Pictures of trike, and measure bolt circle (being 4 lug, center to center opposite lugs).

Thanks man. I can get the lug pattern figure out. Not to sure about the offset. I know it’s not a champion hub:). I’ll post pics of the rear of the bike when I figure out how to post picks on here.

c93ad12b-44cb-4bb1-85f6-630bc04c6a08

Drum or Disc rear brakes too?

About wheels, a friend with a Motor Trike took a liking to the rear wheels on my Lehman, little did he know I had an extra pair. His has 4 lugs as does mine, both use Ford 9" drum brakes on the rear too … so he was sure they'd fit so I offered to sell, he bought them and before trying the wheels on, he put new tires on them. Turns out his Motor Trike used a Ford 8" rear with the same 4 lug pattern as a '60s Falcon or Mustang or Fairlane (4 X 114.3 mm or 4 X 4.5") … but my Lehman uses the same Ford 4 lug pattern as a later model Fox body Mustang, Pinto, '80s T-birds too (4 X 108 mm or 4 X 4.25") .

I bought the wheels back.

As to PICTURES … I find 500 to 640 … or at maximum about 800 pixels wide to be best for use here.

Wheel SPECS, note that OFFSET and BACK SPACING are different things.

And … WELCOME!

Attachments

• Terminology.jpg
    Terminology.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 184
Drum or Disc rear brakes too?

About wheels, a friend with a Motor Trike took a liking to the rear wheels on my Lehman, little did he know I had an extra pair. His has 4 lugs as does mine, both use Ford 9" drum brakes on the rear too … so he was sure they'd fit so I offered to sell, he bought them and before trying the wheels on, he put new tires on them. Turns out his Motor Trike used a Ford 8" rear with the same 4 lug pattern as a '60s Falcon or Mustang or Fairlane (4 X 114.3 mm or 4 X 4.5") … but my Lehman uses the same Ford 4 lug pattern as a later model Fox body Mustang, Pinto, '80s T-birds too (4 X 108 mm or 4 X 4.25") .

I bought the wheels back.

As to PICTURES … I find 500 to 640 … or at maximum about 800 pixels wide to be best for use here.

Wheel SPECS, note that OFFSET and BACK SPACING are different things.

And … WELCOME!

Thanks for the welcome.

Drum, I’ll have a tire shop tell me

the lug pattern tommorow. I know it’s not it’s not 4x100 or 4x114. The champions I bought would have set about a 1/2 back into the fender well

I see …. been looking at trikes for over 20 years at ralleys, shows, gatherings, etc … but I'm drawing a blank now. First thought is maybe early Motor Trike?

Might also help if a picture of rear swing arm construction? Try with a flashlight on the area?

Well,,, I took some

pictures but a 3 yr old could have done better. I was just sticking the phone under it and trying to hit the button. Not to good:). It brings up a another good question. I guessing you can carefully Jack up the rear end and put stands under the axle. Things you never think of until you own one.

I do, stands or blocks or ramps. I've done it one side at a time, but I usually use a jack under my receiver hitch that I made. I fixed a wide spot for the jack, it is a little heavier on the right due to the offset of the heavy pumpkin of the rear I think.

I have on occasion started it and stood beside it and pushed it lightly as I operated reverse and slowly backed it up on the ramps too.

Attachments

• 2019-09-10 650 (18).jpg
    2019-09-10 650 (18).jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 121
Hopefully someone will see something that will ring a bell.

Attachments

• 957FE57F-26BA-4106-BCEC-6296C0B53855.jpeg
    957FE57F-26BA-4106-BCEC-6296C0B53855.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 106
Color me "clueless" almost. Interesting photo, shows shock well ahead of the rear axle. Is it an air shock or does it have separate springs somewhere?

Leave the pic up, maybe one of the others will see it soon.

Not a bad picture, wish I could help.

I did look through some manuals. No exact looking swing arms, though some elements look like a copy of maybe an early Champion?

I'm wondering if a person made his own trike conversion? I know some have, I know a guy who made one off a 1200 once.

I’ve got to get the rear end figured out. I need new wheels and will eventually need brake shoes. I think it may be ford stuff underneath. Best I can tell the wheels are 4x4.25.

I’ve got to get the rear end figured out. I need new wheels and will eventually need brake shoes. I think it may be ford stuff underneath. Best I can tell the wheels are 4x4.25.
I think so too, looks like rear is maybe Ford 6.75 or 7.5 integral type as used in Pintos, Bobcats, Faremonts, some mid-late '70s Mustangs & T-birds too. Measure a brake drum OD, allowing for thickness ... if near 9-1/2" OD, it's 9" Ford Drum Brakes …Good chance you'll see the Ford script stamped in them … Very popular, easy to get anything for.

When getting new wheels … if you do … that chart above will help you compute offset or back space easy enough. Back space is how much wheel is behind the mount surface, offset is how far the mount surface is offset from wheel center line so you'll need wheel width.

Sometime when you can crawl up near the rear, a picture of the rear axle rear cover might help (that's the sheet metal plate on the rear axle pumpkin). That one in my jacking picture is one of two possible looking 6.75 rear covers. The other one is earlier, it has 8 straight sides, 8 bolts too. Far as I know, same internals in both. Mine is the squarish looking one. That 7.5 is what my '85 Thunderbird had with 302 and AOD transmission. There are larger ones like 8.8 that I did not show.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png