EVO blow your issue

1dn5up

Thumper
Reaction score
5 years ago HD had a EVO crate motor exchange program . The new motor came with vented heads like the twin cams . Reciently it started sucking the primary oil into the crank case creating oil overfill and puking from the motor out of every motor vent area possable.

After checking the primary seal to motor , all was fine visibly.

Talked to many HD techs and it is not an issue . Any one else had this problem ?

My shovelhead will drain down into the cases if it sits over the winter. If you're not familiar with it and add oil, you'll have an even bigger mess. Maybe a possibility for you? I'm not familiar with Evo's. They stopped building Harley's in 1970 for me.:)

My shovelhead will drain down into the cases if it sits over the winter. If you're not familiar with it and add oil, you'll have an even bigger mess. Maybe a possibility for you? I'm not familiar with Evo's. They stopped building Harley's in 1970 for me.:)

Nope , it’s not the sit n puke issue . Thanks any way.

Didn’t know it has one :Shrug: mainly blows oil out at 55+ mph. Gota check the book for location.

#28 is an Evo Breather Hope you don't have a cracked inner primary

HD91FLHT005.gif

Some Evos seeped oil thru the stator screws, also the crank bearing inserts (LS) would work loose and allow bearing walk. This would tear up the bearing spacer and seal causing a leak, tho most times it was oil leaking into the primary. You have a tough one on your hands. Good Luck and do let us know;)

The factory gear is plastic,it has a timing mark on it.If it is out of time this can cause problems.

The cheap plastic would also get deformed and cause scoring in the cavity it rides in. This caused major problems on lots of engines. I changed mine to an S&S steel with a modified screen for improved scavenging ;)

Still looking , so far, can’t find anything ........ the investigation continues......

Don't know anything about Evo's. So the basics check to make sure you didn't cross an oil line. Make sure none are pinched. Some cones had different gasket configurations. Don't know if that applies to the newer bike? Harley has had so many configurations of almost the same thing, that it's easy to do something inadvertently that'll cause ya heartburn for the rest of your life.:Shrug:

Still looking , so far, can’t find anything ........ the investigation continues......

Sometimes oil will seek its own level ....Sounds simple but my 11 would blow oil out the air cleaner....I took about a half quart out and that stoped the oil from running down the engine an on my boot.....:Shrug:...

One of my riding buds has the exact problem as you're having on his 91 FXR.

He's done several crank shaft seals, even the aftermarket dual lipped type, but the problem keeps returning.

He's resigned himself to accepting the fact that he needs to check his oil level after every longer ride.

Another mechanic he knows told him the cases have porosity, that in turn causes this. :Shrug: Not sure how true this is but supposedly HD knew about it but didn't "fix" it during the Evo era.

He's also running a non stock Andrews cam of some type. That might also have something to do with the issue, but he doesn't think that is the cause.

I'm not sure why but my 90 FLHS has never had the issue, although it's bone stock. Amsoil maybe? :Shrug:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png