VW diesel mid-engine trke

Fox

May 30, 2020
Canton Ga US
For a few years I've had this idea of building a mid-engine trike with a VW turbo diesel and either a 914 5 speed or maybe a freeway flyer trans. As the diesel provides so much torque if I use the freeway flyer trans I can run 265/75/18 tires on the rear and I think gives me about the same final drive ratio for some really decent mpgs. I also like how many miles that little diesel lasts.

I read in Europe they race VW diesels and get 300 hp out of them. I also read that unshrounding the valves frees up some extra ponies with no reduction in engine life.

I am thinking about using 2 sets of foot pedals, clutch pedal on 1 side and accelerator and brake pedals on the other side. I am also thinking about a real cruise control system. I only wish to steer and use the front brake with the handel bars.

I have been wrestling with how to run a small size 15" car tire like a VW tire on the front for the extra miles it will last. I'm thinking something like a wide glide extended front end so as to accomodate the extra tire width of the car tire. My problem is the front wheel. Motorcycle wheels have the wrong lips for the tire beads on car tires. The only way around I've found so far is a $2000 custom made aluminum front wheel that is a motorcycle style hub and brake set up with car tire bead lips.

I'm open to any ideas that may help my project along.

You will probably want more gear than either a 901 or a flyer has.

Maybe a subie trans. Some of those much higher geared. But you have to research the numbers on them to find the ratios you need.

running car tires on a mc rim has been thought to be a no no for yrs by many...... that is not so... there is a face book page or group that is dedicated to running car tires.. i have on on my yamaha road star just a mater of getting the right size

running car tires on a mc rim has been thought to be a no no for yrs by many...... that is not so... there is a face book page or group that is dedicated to running car tires.. i have on on my yamaha road star just a mater of getting the right size

While many are doing this on their 2 wheelers, you might check with your insurance prtor to doing so.

Since you're building the trike here is an option for the front wheel: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/introduction-to-spindle-mount-wheels/29346 .

You would have to select bearings and spacers to accommodate a straight axle and have front forks wide enough to fit the wheel. A pricey solution but you could an run automotive tire on front. Might be able to locate an "orphan" wheel on ebay or at swap meet to save money.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png