Lower pro action shock bolt tightening

Jan 1, 2012
NE Iowa
My HD shop installed the DK Custom comfort lift and 14 inch Pro Action shocks.

Upon inspecting to find the adjustment “clicker”, I discovered that the bottom shock bolt is not tightened all way.

There is a bit of slack that allowed me to wiggle the bottom of shock against the bolt when jacked up. I would assume they should be tight all the way to “pinch” the bottom of the shock.

Any assistance appreciated.

Bingse

I imagine Kevin will respond but until he does I'll say that this is normal and correct. Otherwise it would be in a bind because as it compresses and rebounds the angle changes slightly so it needs to be able to move around the mounting bolt. This is true for both the top and bottom. There are spacers included with the shocks for this purpose - so it's not locked down.

Upon further review it appears to be a bushing that the bolts go through and they are torqued to spec so assuming this is the way they are.

Never was much of a wrench turner. ☹️

Upon further review it appears to be a bushing that the bolts go through and they are torqued to spec so assuming this is the way they are.

Never was much of a wrench turner. ☹️

Yes ... they will "wiggle" ... I mean a lot. That allows them to flex as needed for different sized bumps.

I'm assuming they put the clicker valve on the bottom facing out ... It's an easy mistake to install them upside down. There is a silver screw on the top also, but it is inline with the trike, not facing out. The one facing out goes to the bottom.

I imagine Kevin will respond but until he does I'll say that this is normal and correct. Otherwise it would be in a bind because as it compresses and rebounds the angle changes slightly so it needs to be able to move around the mounting bolt. This is true for both the top and bottom. There are spacers included with the shocks for this purpose - so it's not locked down.

Thanks

Yes ... they will "wiggle" ... I mean a lot. That allows them to flex as needed for different sized bumps.

I'm assuming they put the clicker valve on the bottom facing out ... It's an easy mistake to install them upside down. There is a silver screw on the top also, but it is inline with the trike, not facing out. The one facing out goes to the bottom.

Yes, the clicker valve faces out. Thanks, the "wiggle" makes sense.

Yes, the clicker valve faces out. Thanks, the "wiggle" makes sense.

The spherical bearing on the end of each shock is something you do not find on most shocks made for Harley's. It is an expensive component....cost of the bearings and c-clips per pair is $70.

The spherical bearings are one of the many reasons these shocks work so well. Normally a rubber encased bushing is what is used. As the bike hits bumps and has laterally force on the swingarm, there is deflection and flexing occurring. With a bushing this will deform and bind up the action of the shock absorber.

When a spherical bearing is used there is a smooth articulation and no binding up as the shocks are put thru their paces. The suspension is able to move up and down smoothly & fluidly, producing a much better ride quality.

Kevin

The spherical bearing on the end of each shock is something you do not find on most shocks made for Harley's. It is an expensive component....cost of the bearings and c-clips per pair is $70.

The spherical bearings are one of the many reasons these shocks work so well. Normally a rubber encased bushing is what is used. As the bike hits bumps and has laterally force on the swingarm, there is deflection and flexing occurring. With a bushing this will deform and bind up the action of the shock absorber.

When a spherical bearing is used there is a smooth articulation and no binding up as the shocks are put thru their paces. The suspension is able to move up and down smoothly & fluidly, producing a much better ride quality.

Kevin

Thank you, Kevin. Since I didn't see the parts before they were installed, I didn't understand the process. Makes sense now. Thanks again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png