Heat off engine

My 17 still has the cat and stock tune and compared to my 16 with the cat removed and a tune the difference is night and day,this 17 is HOT but this too will change.As far as doing mods i cant remember one single time i havent changed something on any of my bikes domestic or import and i have been riding for 49 years no one makes the "perfect" bike to fit everyone.

leaning about the heat on a 2019 tri glide

So almost two weeks ago I went on my third group ride. Being a woman I was wearing my favorite pair of women's jean that have some stretch to them. Our ride was over 200 miles with two gas station breaks. Just under half way through the ride my right leg was heating up. I was moving my leg every where I could to get it away from the motor. The temps that day while we rode was 95 - 105 or so. At our last stop I told a few people that my leg hurt and was hot. They all said yup bikes get hot and trike get hotter. Well I finally got home. I was in so much pain it felt like my leg was on fire. Well it kinda was....we think the jeans with the mixed materials in them heated up and burned me. I sit here almost two weeks later with burn blisters healing. So for know I guess I'll be wearing my half chaps with some kinda knee wrap...pic was taken yesterday.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3167.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3167.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 66
  • fullsizeoutput_30fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_30fd.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 64
So almost two weeks ago I went on my third group ride. Being a woman I was wearing my favorite pair of women's jean that have some stretch to them. Our ride was over 200 miles with two gas station breaks. Just under half way through the ride my right leg was heating up. I was moving my leg every where I could to get it away from the motor. The temps that day while we rode was 95 - 105 or so. At our last stop I told a few people that my leg hurt and was hot. They all said yup bikes get hot and trike get hotter. Well I finally got home. I was in so much pain it felt like my leg was on fire. Well it kinda was....we think the jeans with the mixed materials in them heated up and burned me. I sit here almost two weeks later with burn blisters healing. So for know I guess I'll be wearing my half chaps with some kinda knee wrap...pic was taken yesterday.

Kevlar Chaps work great in keeping heat of the leg. Had the same heat problem as you, although did not get blistered.

Look at Kevlar Chaps on this site. Very reasonable and custom made.

https://www.coloradochaps.com/chap-fabrics.html

If you had floor board extensions that will move your legs/thighs out and away from hugging the hot engine...When i put them on 17 Tri-Glide my jeans stopped rubbing the gas tank....

When riding in the high heat with jeans the tops of my legs (knee to groin) get very hot in the direct sun on a long ride...the skin gets very red..almost unbearable. i have often toyed with the idea of buying a Kewel vest that you soak in water, cutting it up to fit only that area and sewing Velcro straps on them to secure them around the leg. I may contact the Colorado Chaps people to see if they could customize something like that..Thanks Nuc!

leg wrap

When riding in the high heat with jeans the tops of my legs (knee to groin) get very hot in the direct sun on a long ride...the skin gets very red..almost unbearable. i have often toyed with the idea of buying a Kewel vest that you soak in water, cutting it up to fit only that area and sewing Velcro straps on them to secure them around the leg. I may contact the Colorado Chaps people to see if they could customize something like that..Thanks Nuc!

I bought some ironing board cover material and leather. I'm going to have a lady sew them together with straps and make me a knee wrap. Hopefully that helps.

i wear knee length lite/hiking weight smartwool sock just did 2700 miles a week ago no problem. I do have the tank lift and deflectors plus floorboard extentions

If you had floor board extensions that will move your legs/thighs out and away from hugging the hot engine...When i put them on 17 Tri-Glide my jeans stopped rubbing the gas tank....

Doing this might also allow for more free flowing air which could lower, but only slightly, the heat in that area. I know it makes a big difference on my Indian provided I have the vents open. In winter that very heat is welcomed. Damned if you do and damned if you don't sort of thing.

+3 I thought they (floorboard extenders) were OEM I didn't know till I started to take it apart for handle bar change a long time ago... Shop manual did not show those parts LOL... Ride safe Fred

I also have a 2019 Tri-Glide and this happened to me as well. I was going from Kingman AZ to Las Vegas NV in June, outside temps were 105 to 108, my leg was burning. That night at the hotel I had blisters on my right calf with a lot of swelling and redness.

I wore Levi's so I don't suspect it was the jean material, more like hot engine temperatures. After talking with the Harley Tech, he suggested I have the cat removed from pipes and have them ceramic coated.

If HD knows of the extreme heat issue, they should do something to fix it!

I also have a 2019 Tri-Glide and this happened to me as well. I was going from Kingman AZ to Las Vegas NV in June, outside temps were 105 to 108, my leg was burning. That night at the hotel I had blisters on my right calf with a lot of swelling and redness.

I wore Levi's so I don't suspect it was the jean material, more like hot engine temperatures. After talking with the Harley Tech, he suggested I have the cat removed from pipes and have them ceramic coated.

Jovi...........Welcome to Trike Talk....:wave4:....

They would be happy to but it's the EPA that has them under control. So thank your government here.

They would be happy to but it's the EPA that has them under control. So thank your government here.

All they 'Harley has to do to fix the problem with hot pipes is to add a warning sticker saying '''

CAUTION! PIPES ARE HOT...DON'T HUG THEM WITH YOUR LEGS!!...

Similar to hot coffee.....Don't hold the cup in your crotch!..:D..

Cheap remedy for heat on leg issue.

My left leg is fine on the tri glide. Right leg got pretty hot on my last trip at 95 degrees on the highway. Fortunately I anticipated the situation and had earlier purchased 2 hand welding glove reflective heat shields. (The shields are about 5" wide and 7 /1/2" long) Cut the straps on the back and sewed velcro straps on so they could extend around my leg calf (easy on easy off) where the heat was extreme. It wasn't a miracle, but I could easily stand the heat with my foot fully on the foot board. It worked great. A 6" wide x 10" long would be perfect. The other one was for the wife. I'm not going to let no little heat problem ruin my day of riding. All was well.

Kira and I did about 80 miles today ... temp in the middle of the ride reached 98*.

I need to add an item to the most "Bang for the Buck" list .... the cool -n- clean ... when I got home I checked the digital dipstick and the sump temp on the oil was 205*. I've had that on 6 different Harley's and I've never seen the oil temp less than 220-230* before when ambient was in the high 90's ... ET as read by the Power vision was at 212*. I'm not sure I'm ever gonna get it dialed in any better.

Something else I think may be contributing to the cooler temps is running Redline products in all three holes. Trike is quieter, which equates to less friction, I think, should help with cooling.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlrodgers10
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png