rake and trail help

Reaction score
I have a 2011 fxdf with 29 degree steering head. 34 degrees on the tubes with a 19 " front tire on a champion kit.

I also have a 6 degree trip tree that I can install if needed.

What is the best rake and trail to shoot for? The bike is great on the road but a pain in the twisties.

Do I need longer tubes or more rake? Any ideas would be helpful. thanks dago713

Hey Ray.. Welcome to TrikeTalk from the Texas Hill Country! Always happy to have another Texan on the forum. When you get it figured out the 3 Sisters will be waiting!

Thanks for the replies.

Jack- Thanks for the info.

Paws, I have done all 3 sisters many times, I have had to fight the turns too much to call it fun, that is the reason I am trying to get the rake and trail right,

stacebg- no extensions in this kit,that is the reason I am asking about longer tubes.

I am going to do the math off of what jack posted and see what I come up with.

thanks Dago

Jack , I did the math the bike has 5 degree trees and 2.03 trail. If i add 2" to the tubes {34"} I would have 2.37 trail.

Do you think this would lighten up the front and make it better?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Jack , I did the math the bike has 5 degree trees and 2.03 trail. If i add 2" to the tubes {34"} I would have 2.37 trail.

i think u will be happy and surprised how that will handle

either one

That should work pretty good

After talking with zook and hhi, I am going to install the new 6 degree trees next week with the stock length tubes.

will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input.

. Dago

After talking with Zook and HHI I will install next week just the 6 degree trees and see if it improves the turning.

I will let you know how it goes.

this like "if you ride a bike, not a matter of IF you get rained on but a matter of WHEN"

For the new trees it not a matter of IF it will help but a matter of HOW MUCH it will help

you WILL be surprised i am sure

I had the new 6* trees installed to replace the 5* trees. The old trees had one fork tube crushed into a deep divit. The spring was a bitch to remove. It seems the spring would not fully expand after a bump and always had a load on it.

The trike now has good rebound and dampening. The change in handling has improved .

I now know the way a trike should feel when set up properly.

The bad thing is that the original owner spent good money to install the 5* trees only to have the the guy over tighten the the lower tree bolt causing the rough ride.

I am happy the way it turned out.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas from everyone. Dago

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png