Sea Foam in the crank Case

Seafoam user here for years. Mostly as a fuel stabilizer in the off season. Never a problem.

Had gas stored for two years once, Bike fired right up:clapping:

The beginning of this season, I have a weed wacker, that has been sitting all winter, well, when I needed to use it last week for the first time, it only spit, studder, and die... It wouldn't idle, what's so ever... I thought aaaa shoot, time for a new one....THEN I THOUGHT Hmmmmm let's try this Sea/foam stuff that everybody has been raving about........... I dumpped out 1/4 tank of fuel, to make room for the Seafoam product.... Well to my surprise, all of a sudden this engine started to run beautiful, it rev'd up, didn't studder, and idle'd perfect............and I finished my yard work, w/o any more problems....YES! I AM NOW A SEA FOAM BELIEVER............and will now continue to put in all my various engine's fuel tanks....Car, service truck, lawn mowers, motorcycle, and weed wacker..

life is good!!!

Ronnie

Owned an equipment rental and outdoor power equipment business for years. Used Seafoam extensively to preserve fuel but never thought to add to oil. Definitely will be giving this a try.

I have heard so many good things about adding Seafoam to gasoline there must be something to it.

But when it comes to adding it to oil in the crankcase, I'm not so sure. As thin as Seafoam is it can't have much film strength or "shear" resistance. At best, it may not be too detrimental to your lube oil, but how can it improve your engine oil's lubricating ability? Wouldn't think it can, but I'm no chemist either.

PC

Just to add to this page.

I had a 1970 SS Chevelle and a 2006 SS Monte Carlo.

That I would leave home in the garage while snowbird out to Arizona for 4 months.

I would fill up the gas with high Octane Sunoco and add about a 1/2 can of seafoam.

I did the add some to the oil at the same time.

Then connect both to battery tenders while we were gone.

When we got back and if the rds were clean enough I'd change oil in both and out for a ride around town.

Never ever had a problem with anything.

The Chevelle was a Classic car worth some Nice Ca$h so I took very good care of it.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I have heard so many good things about adding Seafoam to gasoline there must be something to it.

But when it comes to adding it to oil in the crankcase, I'm not so sure. As thin as Seafoam is it can't have much film strength or "shear" resistance. At best, it may not be too detrimental to your lube oil, but how can it improve your engine oil's lubricating ability? Wouldn't think it can, but I'm no chemist either.

PC

Added to the oil right before an oil change for its cleaning abilities. I have been doing this for years with excellent results;) This is kind of like when Harley told us to flush our oil tanks with Kerosene.

With the high quality oils out today, I don't feel this is needed. They all have cleaning ingredients added.

Added to the oil right before an oil change for its cleaning abilities. I have been doing this for years with excellent results;) This is kind of like when Harley told us to flush our oil tanks with Kerosene.

I always used Kerosene to clean engine parts and Bike' and ATC'S chains .....

But then you have to oil/lube them cause they will rust over night....

With the high quality oils out today, I don't feel this is needed. They all have cleaning ingredients added.

While this is true, once the oil temps get over 230 degrees the additive package starts to break down including the cleaning detergents in the oils. Not saying this is a one size fits all but it does work pretty good from my own experiences of a lifetime of turning wrenches for a living

Might not be a bad thing to do every 5 years or so but I don't see a good reason to add Seafoam to the oil more than that given the additives already in oil no matter the oil temperature. Those cleaners are still working until it gets to those high temps. JMHO

While this is true, once the oil temps get over 230 degrees the additive package starts to break down

Interesting, Jack. That may or may not be true, I don't know. I guess the obvious next question then is: When does Seafoam start to break down?

Come to think of it, the reports I get back from Blackstone Lab always say I have additional additives left in my oil sample, which I'm sure got past 230 degrees. Wonder how long we'd have to stay above 230 degrees to destroy the additive package? Been running M-1 (15W50) since the bike was new. BTW, how'd you arrive at that 230 degree number?

PC

While this is true, once the oil temps get over 230 degrees the additive package starts to break down

Interesting, Jack. That may or may not be true, I don't know. I guess the obvious next question then is: When does Seafoam start to break down?

Come to think of it, the reports I get back from Blackstone Lab always say I have additional additives left in my oil sample, which I'm sure got past 230 degrees. Wonder how long we'd have to stay above 230 degrees to destroy the additive package? Been running M-1 (15W50) since the bike was new. BTW, how'd you arrive at that 230 degree number?

PC

I don't know when the Seafoam breaks down, I put 4ozs in, warm the engine up and drop the oil and filter. As far as the oil additive breaking down, it is a slow process. Most oils will not lose all of the package. The ideal oil operating temp for an air cooled HD is 196-220 degrees, Amzoil notes that breakdown starts @245 degrees if I remember right

Keeping your oil above 160 F long enough to dehydrate your oil goes a very long way to keeping your oil sludge free. Keeping your oil dehydrated also cuts down on the formation of acid in the oil which is a major factor in engine wear. Will adding Seafoam help either of those? I dunno, but I know frequent oil and filter changes are the cheapest insurance you can buy as you've probably heard.

PC

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png