Eastern Arizona

TonkaDriver

450+ Posts
Reaction score
This thread is to invite anyone that is interested in joining us for a few days of riding and visiting in the White Mountains of Arizona. Sept 30 - Oct 4. Kevin and Mary and My wife Sally and I will be camping a few miles north of Greer, AZ. There is lodging available in Greer and Springerville/Eager or a little farther away in Showlow. Average temps in the area are 73/42 and with the elevations we may have some really nice fall colors along the way.

I have 3 rides mapped out.

Ride One - Oct. 1 is the Coronado Trail.

2020-06-29.jpg

Ride Two - Oct 2 Alpine/Big Lake

2020-06-29 (2).jpg

Ride Three - Oct 3 Roosevelt Loop

2020-06-29 (1).jpg

Two of the rides are full day trips and can be adjusted on the fly. The one ride I would suggest completing as mapped would be the Coronado Trail as the most spectacular portion is near Morenci and the highway goes through the open pit mine in Morenci.

The Roosevelt Loop ride would be easy to adjust by riding to Globe for lunch and back to camp. Most of these miles move pretty fast as the speed limit is 65 for a good portion of the route.

Just thought we would put the info out there for anyone that is interested.

Kurt

Kurt, I'm bringing a trike down to San Tan Valley from South Dakota in October....had been thinking the middle to end of October, but this has put that funny little "tickle" in my head, and got the wheels turning. I may just have to adjust my travel dates! I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

Either way, say hi to Kevin and Mary for me.

Bill Jones

Last edited:
Kurt, I'm bringing a trike down to San Tan Valley from South Dakota in October....had been thinking the middle to end of October, but this has put that funny little "tickle" in my head, and got the wheels turning. I may just have to adjust my travel dates! I'm keeping and eye on this thread.

Either way, say hi to Kevin and Mary for me.

Bill Jones

Hello Bill,

I would think that if you timed things right you could bring it down just in time to take a few days delay in the White Mountains.

Kurt

Greer is only 862 miles from my house. I can travel IH10 to US-180 so I don't have to ride along the Mexico border. I don't see any towns that are having civil unrest along the route.

The combination of the pandemic and civil unrest are intimidating. I have never worried about traveling alone until recently. The thought of being quarantined 14 days alone, in a strange place is not on my "bucket list". I am not paranoid, just try not to be stupid. God willing, I would love to do the rides you have planned.

Greer is only 862 miles from my house. I can travel IH10 to US-180 so I don't have to ride along the Mexico border. I don't see any towns that are having civil unrest along the route.

The combination of the pandemic and civil unrest are intimidating. I have never worried about traveling alone until recently. The thought of being quarantined 14 days alone, in a strange place is not on my "bucket list". I am not paranoid, just try not to be stupid. God willing, I would love to do the rides you have planned.

It would be great if you could make it Lola. It is some spectacular riding country.

Kurt

Hi Kurt, you mentioned lodging available in Greer or Springerville area....found Lazy Trout in Greer and American Best Value or Rode Inn at Springerville. Any thoughts/recommendations? Assuming the Lazy T would be closer to your campsite.

Bill

Both American Best Value and Rode Inn in Springerville are good. They are close to each other. I have stayed in the El Jo in Springerville a couple of times and like it. Restaurant in parking lot adjacent to motel..... Jim

Hi Kurt, you mentioned lodging available in Greer or Springerville area....found Lazy Trout in Greer and American Best Value or Rode Inn at Springerville. Any thoughts/recommendations? Assuming the Lazy T would be closer to your campsite.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I don't have any recommendation for lodging but Greer will be closer.

Kurt

Kurt, just saw this.

Man, we are looking forward to this trip. Gonna be fun seeing you and Sally again. Looking forward to sitting around the campfire with y'all.

The riding too...those look like some fun routes.

Hoping some others can make it out for some safe socializing and some good riding.

Got ants in the pants for this trip. As of right now, this is the only trip we have planned this year.

See you soon!

Kevin & Mary

Both American Best Value and Rode Inn in Springerville are good. They are close to each other. I have stayed in the El Jo in Springerville a couple of times and like it. Restaurant in parking lot adjacent to motel..... Jim

Hey Jim, thanks for info and recommendations. Doing some looking ahead, and trying to make dates work in with travel plans.

Bill

Kurt......

This just might grow to be an event not to be missed. I do have it on my calendar and hope the covid devil does not interfere..... Jim

Kurt, just saw this.

Man, we are looking forward to this trip. Gonna be fun seeing you and Sally again. Looking forward to sitting around the campfire with y'all.

The riding too...those look like some fun routes.

Hoping some others can make it out for some safe socializing and some good riding.

Got ants in the pants for this trip. As of right now, this is the only trip we have planned this year.

See you soon!

Kevin & Mary

If you map the Morenci ride and zoom in just north of Morenci you will see some fun looking twisties.

Sally decided to come with me on the Maggie Valley trip so we are towing the camper with the trike trailer behind it. Can't wait. Two great trips within a month of each other.

Give Mary our best. See you soon

Kurt

If you map the Morenci ride and zoom in just north of Morenci you will see some fun looking twisties.

Sally decided to come with me on the Maggie Valley trip so we are towing the camper with the trike trailer behind it. Can't wait. Two great trips within a month of each other.

Give Mary our best. See you soon

Kurt

I might have to follow you back from Maggie Valley....

- - - Updated - - -

What's the name of the campground you and Kevin and Mary are staying at?

I might have to follow you back from Maggie Valley....

- - - Updated - - -

What's the name of the campground you and Kevin and Mary are staying at?

We will be Boondocking about 8 - 10 miles north of Greer. There should be plenty of room for more campers.

Kurt

We are going to try to get to AZ for this ride. Have resv at the B/W in Eagar,Az. 30th thru 3rd check out the 4th. If weather looks iffy here in Oh & In. we will trailer the bike out. Looking forward to meeting some more members. Met Kevin in Eureka a couple yrs ago. Anyway cya then.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png