Rear Differential

Rear Diff.

Has anyone changed there own rear differential fluid?

Mine is just about due. I did talk to a tech at a Honda/Roadsmith dealership, and he said it is very hard to get new grease in and at proper level.

It's also easy for a tech to say that it's done but unless you watch, who knows. I guess you just have to trust them or do it yourself!

I have no experience with a differential, But couldn't you use a syringe with a tube on it to suck the fluid out, then reverse to fill it?

I attempted it once, that fill plug is almost impossible to remove, and then there's the fill an almost impossible task. I finally gave it up and took it to my trike guy. Your tech guy was correct, there were two fill amounts in different diffs, and getting it to the proper fill was another problem, I'm talking the 2011/2012 year, maybe your year model has changed and the procedure is easier. Call RoadSmith and see if they can give you some tips.

What did your trike guy do to remove the plug? Curious what he did that you can't

What did your trike guy do to remove the plug? Curious what he did that you can't

I do not know exactly, I did not get up under there to observe, and he was not forthcoming, it was a Motor Trike guy and was doing me a favor, because didn't even want to work on a RS even a diff oil change, he was aware of the remote, tight area and difficulty of getting it done. The man had lot of different wrenches which I did not have. I knew I was never gonna do it again, so I just have any interest on the 'how' of it all. One thing I know, he had a lift that would raise the machine so he could easily get up under there.

Diff oil

I just checked my diff oil this week. I used a 1/2in square drive ratchet. The plug was very tight. I could not move it without putting a cheater bar on it. Even then it was hard to move. Finally broke it loose and the oil was 1/2in down from the top. I screwed the plug back in, but not as tight. There is absolutely no sense in the plug being that tight.

Rear Diff.

I have changed mine twice.Just need a swivel on a ratchet to take out fill hole plug.There is a small allen scew on the bottom of diff. for a drain hole.To fill with fliud I used an outboard lower unit pump setup to fill it.

How often should the diff gear oil need to be changed? I was thinking it is about 50k.

I think 50K on gear lube would be OK, it does not live in as hostile an environment like engine oil;) AS long as water intrusion is not a problem you should be good to go

I was told 50,000 by Road Smith when they delivered my trike

I have done mine. Having the correct socket and ratchet is a plus. If I remember correctly I used a deep socket. Go to the auto parts store and by the hand pump, I already had this pump for changing transfer case fluid on my Tahoe. If your case has gathered a lot of road crud, clean off the bottom to find a small drain plug. This plug may be flush with the case. An Allen wrench is needed to pull this out.

tried to go to page 2 but it would not go anyway I tried to get there.

tried 2

tried next page

nothing worked

last post I could see was #10

Bubber

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png