registering and insuring a trike

USNrider

Jan 2, 2011
Virginia Beach, Va
If I'm not mistaken (and I could be wrong here) in Va, a trike is considered a motorcycle. Anyone on here from Va with experience if I have to jump through any special hoops to get a bike that is converted to a trike registered and insured. The registration is currently up to date on it as a two wheeled motorcycle.

Re: registering and insurig a trike

I don't know about Virginia. But, in Texas the title description does not change when you convert a bike to a trike. It is still the same motorcycle that it started life as. The trike kit is just an accessary. Same for the insurance. The kit is covered as an accessary. The only problems I have heard of anybody having was when the trike kit was self installed. I have heard of some insurance companies not insuring a self installed trikes.

Thanks, definitely not a self install. Just watched the semi pull away from my house yesterday with the bike taking it to Texas to get motortrike to install the kit for me. Amazingly, they do not allow independent installers to install the trike kit on the Aero 750, it has to be done in house at the factory in Troupe, Tx. At least I shouldn't have to worry about any problems with the install.

Motor Trike used to sell their kits to anybody that wanted to buy one. I think they got to having so many people with problems after self installs they quit selling to anybody except authorized, factory trained dealer/installers.
My first trike was a Valkyrie Interstate with a very early, self installed Motor Trike kit. The guy that built it did a really poor job. That thing was a mess. However, the wife and I had the time of our life traveling on that thing and I learned a lot about working on trikes!!

I don't live too far from Troup. I have been at Motor Trike. It is an interesting place to visit. I bought one of their Thoroughbred Motorsports trailers to pull behind our trike.

Good luck with your new toy!!!

Shoot, if ya aint far from Troupe, ya aint far from ScooterPete's near troupe. Can't remember the exact location (its been a long day for me) but that is where my Aero is going to have the trike kit done up. ScooterPete was recommended by Motor Trike as he is close to them and they will need to do some of the work themselves by the sound of it. The Aero is in the back of a semi right now on its way to Texas.

Just call your local DMV and ask them but don't tell them who you are.

I talked to the DMV up the road from the house and was told it would be registered per Bill of Sale. So, I paid for the Shadow BEFORE the triking and registered it here in NC. Then, after I picked it up I had MotorTrike provide me with a Bill of Sale of the complete trike so I could have something to show my insurance company.

I guess the moral of this whole exercise is that I save about $55.00 a year on taxes and that you need to talk to your insurance agent.

To save yourself aggregation after an accident, have a stated evaluation done prior to registering your trike, insurance companies like to consider a trike conversion an accessory like a side car, but in most cases you cannot remove the trike conversion and return it to a two wheeled motorcycle, so do the stated evaluation like you would a high end custom car

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png