help

Glenda McGinty

Jul 15, 2019
Joaquin, TX. USA
I own a gold wing trike, but my husband is looking at both a 2005 & a 2007 goldwing not a trike and he was wondering if anyone had any rathers about either year. Both have about the same miles, less than 40K and options. 07 is about $2000 more.

Glenda

If you can afford the 2007, get it. In 06 they added some features, but I'm not sure which ones.

I remembered something about the frame cracking on some Gold Wings...did an internet search and came up with this. If you choose the 2005 be sure to run the vin number to see if the frame cracking recall has been addressed. Of course I am sure that it was not an issue with every single bike produced...but to be safe be sure to check. Let us know what ya’ll decide.

The GL1800 cracking aluminum frame

The first few fifth gen models (from the first GL1800 in 2001 to the ’04/’05) where the first years of a generation that introduced a new aluminum frame borrowed from the CR motocross bike series. There was a massive recall due to the frame cracking. Honda gave these years a lifetime recall and most issues should be long resolved. But if you mess around with one of these years, run the VIN to ensure that recall issues have already been assessed and dealt with.

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

Basic rule of thumb, lower miles and new bikes will bring more re sale ... $2K would be worth the difference. Since your hubby is looking at both, I assume you can afford either. There are lots of other variables that could push one over the other.

1) type of suspension.

2) maintenance records, if the bikes have over 30k miles (likely in these years) and the air filter and plugs replacement, and valve adjustment hasn't been done, that could run into $1k at a dealer pretty quickly. I can't tell you how many Wings I've had that I bought used that had never seen a new air filter, even though the previous owner told me, "All maintenance is current". It's scary how many Wing owners think that means they changed the oil recently.

3) tire age (check born date) and tread, replacing three tires is pricy.

4) Conversion kit, some of them require way more maintenance than others.

5) then there is the little things, color, add ons, condition.

As you can see, comparing two trikes is not really apples to apples ... even if the are both Gold Wings. Like most things in life, this is gonna come down to a very personal decision, Good Luck, ask lots of questions, do lots of research.

2001-2003 Had the cracked frame issues

\\
I remembered something about the frame cracking on some Gold Wings...did an internet search and came up with this. If you choose the 2005 be sure to run the vin number to see if the frame cracking recall has been addressed. Of course I am sure that it was not an issue with every single bike produced...but to be safe be sure to check. Let us know what ya’ll decide.

The GL1800 cracking aluminum frame

The first few fifth gen models (from the first GL1800 in 2001 to the ’04/’05) where the first years of a generation that introduced a new aluminum frame borrowed from the CR motocross bike series. There was a massive recall due to the frame cracking. Honda gave these years a lifetime recall and most issues should be long resolved. But if you mess around with one of these years, run the VIN to ensure that recall issues have already been assessed and dealt with.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png