Hannigan vs Roadsmith question

Reaction score
I am about to purchase an 08 goldwing with either a Hannigan or Roadsmith trike conversion. I know most everyone tells you to ride them and choose the one you like best, but I have a general question about the ride on both.

The Roadsmith still incorporates the on-board air system for ride cushion, while Hannigan uses pre-loaded shocks to adjust the ride quality.
Is there any advantage to either- or disadvantage. I have heard that the air system can loose its seal and fail at some point. Is the preloaded shock easy to adjust from 1 up - 2 up riding?

Will the Hannigan conversion give a smooth enough ride on the long highway trip?

Please- give me some experienced advise on this. I just want to be better informed and not make a $ 30,000.00 mistake. Thanks, sgtbush207

I am about to purchase an 08 goldwing with either a Hannigan or Roadsmith trike conversion. I know most everyone tells you to ride them and choose the one you like best, but I have a general question about the ride on both.

The Roadsmith still incorporates the on-board air system for ride cushion, while Hannigan uses pre-loaded shocks to adjust the ride quality.
Is there any advantage to either- or disadvantage. I have heard that the air system can loose its seal and fail at some point. Is the preloaded shock easy to adjust from 1 up - 2 up riding?

Will the Hannigan conversion give a smooth enough ride on the long highway trip?

Please- give me some experienced advise on this. I just want to be better informed and not make a $ 30,000.00 mistake. Thanks, sgtbush207

Having built both, and ridden both there isn't (IMO) enough difference in the ride, and comfort to effectively tell.

You have one point wrong. The GL1800 does not have an air system. The the on board pre load adjuster is used on the RoadSmith, not the Hannigan. That is the upper mechanism only not the shock.

It is adjustable just as it is on a two wheeler.

I have a Hannigan and it is great. But then everyone loves the trike they own. I have never ridden a Roadsmith so I can't give an opinion as to which is better. If your 08 has ABS then that might be something to consider since Hannigan incorporates the ABS. Just a thought. You will get some good advice on this from those more experienced than I.

Welcome to the board,,, Both kits are great kits so U really can't go wrong with either one.. the thing to do is ride both and see which one U like better..

Post some pictures when u decide on what U want we love pictures..

Ride safe and enjoy...

I have a Roadsmith that I'm very happy with, but also considered Hannigan during my research. I decided on Roadsmith mainly due to the level of customer service I received from the Trike Shop of Daytona...great people to deal with ThumbUp

Go to the Hannigan web sight and read about the suspension system. It is a lot more than just a simple IRS system!
I rode both you mentioned and a lot more over varied road surfaces in my quest for the right one for me.
I then coined the following:
Test the rest
Then buy the best
Hannigan
To answer your question about a smooth ride-there are some close, none better than a Hannigan!
I will end w/this: Wife took all the same looooong test rides I did. We ended w/a visit to the Hannigan factory. We had only gone about 6 miles on the Wing/Hannigan, when wife leaned up and said, "This is the one, isn't it?" "No doubt", was the answer.
Oh, if there is any doubt left, yes I am biased now, after all the testing we did!

My wife made the decision on which trike to buy. The passenger rides above the wheels not the driver. If you want the best for your better half then have her on it and let her tell you what she feels. Like the old saying if Mommy is not happy then nobody is. I test two different trikes the CSC and the Hannigan my wife bought the Hannigan.

I ride a MotorTrike Coupe 1999 on a 1996 Goldwing, I ride a 2002 Goldwing with 2005 Champion and I ride a 1997 Goldwing with a 1999 DFT,all are terrific machines. Handling and ride is so close it would be like telling someone u bought new tires and you can feel the difference( IMHO in never felt new tires improved my driving, some people can feel it) Now Honey on the back can feel the difference. The MT with solid axle is a more jarring ride ( in its defense it was ridden by a 300# man and his 280# girlfriend for 47,000 miles. and I think the rear shocks are about shot ) That said the Champion with solid axle also rides better. Honey only feels discomfort when we hit the Bridge expansion joints on the high-way or a big pot hole (for you southern people that is were the ice has popped a potion of the road out and caused a 6" deep hole ) and now the ind rear DFT the deep pot holes still gets me a turtle slap but the rest of the ride she usually can fall a sleep on. Been there done that for over 100 miles. That's my story and I stick with it. Now $ wise ID rear is more $$$ than straight so if it means no trike or a straight axle go with the straight axle. Last time I checked the DFT kit was in the $13,000 price range . The 2 you have chosen are both great kits.

Here is an update. I found a 2009 Goldwing ( Black Cherry) at a Hannigan dealer in Oklahoma City , so I pulled the trigger and told him to order the kit. I will pick up the bike tomorrow to ride until the kit comes in for installation in about 3-4 weeks. Now I am buying several chrome pieces to install and put MY fingerprints on the bike. Can't wait to get on the trike. Thanks for all the suggestions on the forum. Will take lots of pics when it is done.

sgtbush207

Probably get in real trouble here for trying to sell without being a sponsor but, I have invented a inexpensive parking brake for trikes:

What is the MFG $ on that brake? and a Black Cherry trike will look sweet.

Here is an update. I found a 2009 Goldwing ( Black Cherry) at a Hannigan dealer in Oklahoma City , so I pulled the trigger and told him to order the kit. I will pick up the bike tomorrow to ride until the kit comes in for installation in about 3-4 weeks. Now I am buying several chrome pieces to install and put MY fingerprints on the bike. Can't wait to get on the trike. Thanks for all the suggestions on the forum. Will take lots of pics when it is done.

sgtbush207

Id be surprised if you get the kit in 3-4 weeks being that Hannigan just had a fairly major fire at their factory. I talked to them today and they are running hard to get things back on track, but expect a delay is what I was told. It was only a single building but contained the machine shop, body molding shop and paint shop.

I found out about the fire the day before my dealer was going to order the kit. He was told it could be months before they start shipping new kits out.

I guess my choices now are Roadsmith or CSC. Any thoughts on the CSC trike kit ?

I think they will be back in production before you know it.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png