Engine went due to sumping

kingfish108

Jan 11, 2018
Lee's Summit, MO, USA
My 2017 TG is now at the dealer with the top end removed from the engine. Lost oil pressure last week while out on a short ride. They are replacing the oil pan, oil pump, lifters, pushrods, cylinders and pistons. Pistons were pretty scarred and everything had that burnt look. They said that this is only the second stock 107 that they have seen with a sumping issue and both have been trikes. I have almost 49k on it. I looked into paying the difference to do an engine upgrade, but have decided to ride it to the end of the season and trade for a new one. Really glad my wife talked me into the extended warranty:D, which ends in January.

Bill,

I'm glad you asked that question!

How does one know if they do indeed have a "sumping problem"???

Ronnie

The only way i can describe it is, When you are trying to accelerate the trike feels like you are towing a tractor tow sled behind you.......Or a Jake brake on a truck is turned on...My 17 did that twice, And at the time i thought it was caused by another issue' ? But i traded it in for other reasons..[Oil Migration].Before i could have the dealer check it out..

The only way i can describe it is, When you are trying to accelerate the trike feels like you are towing a tractor tow sled behind you.......Or a Jake brake on a truck is turned on...My 17 did that twice, And at the time i thought it was caused by another issue' ? But i traded it in for other reasons..[Oil Migration].Before i could have the dealer check it out..

My problem started last year when the oil light kept coming on when idling. I took it to the dealer and they changed the oil pressure sensor and said everything was good. The very next Saturday, I was leaving on a trip and the same issue happened again. When I took it back to the dealer, a tech came out and looked it. He checked the oil and said nothing was wrong with it. I was told that it was under warranty and to just ride it. So I did. That same day I again had low oil pressure and the engine got a little noisy. I parked it and let it cool down. When cool, it ran fine. A little later, when out on the highway, it started running like I was dragging a battleship anchor. I downshifted a couple gears, cranked the throttle way up and all the sudden something gave way and it was running fine. After that afternoon, I never saw the low pressure light again until the day it gave up the ghost.

It is still at the dealer. They are supposed to call when the parts come in. Been torn down over two weeks and I haven't heard a word.:Shrug: I was looking into trading for a new one, but with some of the quality control issues I am reading about, I am going to have to think awhile. In the meantime, I am enjoying my new car and my "17 Camaro.

My problem started last year when the oil light kept coming on when idling. I took it to the dealer and they changed the oil pressure sensor and said everything was good. The very next Saturday, I was leaving on a trip and the same issue happened again. When I took it back to the dealer, a tech came out and looked it. He checked the oil and said nothing was wrong with it. I was told that it was under warranty and to just ride it. So I did. That same day I again had low oil pressure and the engine got a little noisy. I parked it and let it cool down. When cool, it ran fine. A little later, when out on the highway, it started running like I was dragging a battleship anchor. I downshifted a couple gears, cranked the throttle way up and all the sudden something gave way and it was running fine. After that afternoon, I never saw the low pressure light again until the day it gave up the ghost.

It is still at the dealer. They are supposed to call when the parts come in. Been torn down over two weeks and I haven't heard a word.:Shrug: I was looking into trading for a new one, but with some of the quality control issues I am reading about, I am going to have to think awhile. In the meantime, I am enjoying my new car and my "17 Camaro.

I hope they will put the NEW 8 lobe oil pump on your engine, this is supposed to cure the sumping

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
Oil was staying in the crank area, not going back to the oil pan and starving the upper engine. Part of the issue was the oil pump was going south

Since 2017, I think they have had 4 revisions to the original 107 cu.in. M8 oil pump.

Like Jack stated, I would insure the latest revision goes in the repair. Good Luck & keep us informed.

I have a 2020 tri I needed the seal that goes on the back of the oil pump to the crank shaft, my local dealer did a nation wide search and could not find one , had to buy a the back half of the oil pump to get the seal .He said they have bikes that have been waiting for months for parts. GOOD LUCK Today got a email from them SOUTHAMPTON H D they are closing for good , they cant survive any longer with out bikes or parts or t shirts . THE END IS NEAR :xzqxz:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png