From Biker to Triker, wow what a ride!

paid4c4

300+ Posts
Mar 28, 2016
Crestview Hills, KY, USA
Several years ago my new wife told me she wanted to ride with me. At the time I had a HD Ultra Limited and even though I had been riding 45 years I had never ridden two up on a motorcycle. I purchased a 2012 Goldwing CSC so when Kathy wanted to go with me she could. So for the next four years I rode my Harley solo and the Goldwing when Kathy wanted to go. At the end of last year's riding season I made the decision that at 70 it was time for me to get off of two wheels. My Harley without me on it weighs 1000 pounds but unfortunately I no longer have leg strength to move a thousand pounds around to backup, park or maneuver when stopped. I recently sold the Harley and now at 71 I've transitioned from a biker to a triker! I hope to ride many years and the GL1800 with the CSC platform provides a nice and stable ride. Now to add just one or two items to the wing to make it feel more like home, does it ever end with boys and their toys.

Bill

Several years ago my new wife told me she wanted to ride with me. At the time I had a HD Ultra Limited and even though I had been riding 45 years I had never ridden two up on a motorcycle. I purchased a 2012 Goldwing CSC so when Kathy wanted to go with me she could. So for the next four years I rode my Harley solo and the Goldwing when Kathy wanted to go. At the end of last year's riding season I made the decision that at 70 it was time for me to get off of two wheels. My Harley without me on it weighs 1000 pounds but unfortunately I no longer have leg strength to move a thousand pounds around to backup, park or maneuver when stopped. I recently sold the Harley and now at 71 I've transitioned from a biker to a triker! I hope to ride many years and the GL1800 with the CSC platform provides a nice and stable ride. Now to add just one or two items to the wing to make it feel more like home, does it ever end with boys and their toys.

Bill

--ThumbUp............

Bill

No, it never ends for boys or for girls. ;)

From Biker to Triker

Last year i sold my old 1500 Interstate (1990) after 10 years and my VTX1800,..was still riding both OK but decided to purchase a Trike while i could still get my leg over..the bike/trike..so to speak.. In October 2019 i bought a 2007 GL1800 Lehman Monarch 2 with 25,000 miles on just a coupla months before my 71st birthday,so far have done over 3,000 miles even tho' been parked up thro' winter and the total lockdown here in the UK...Where i live in Yorkshire you can't go more than a few hundred yards before any bends,corners,twisties etc appear so am lucky it has EZ-STEER fitted...still hope to be riding into the foreseeable future as long as i can..no more worries about balancing a heavy solo bike anymore when coming to junctions/stop signs etc.... and there are plenty of them.....Take care and stay safe...enjoy it while you can....

asset.php

At 72 years old ( in 2 weeks) I can still handle 2 wheels but have been on three wheels for past 5 years to keep my wife riding. 5 years ago I was riding a Victory Cross Country Tour and it weighed in about 900 pounds. My wife was having trouble climbing on it so she quit riding. Traded it in on a Freewheeler and she loved it and started riding with me again. She has been gone now for two years and I am still riding the FW but I keep thinking how much I would like to go back to 2 wheels one more time before it is too late. Then I go for a ride on the FW and think "this thing is too much fun". Sanity has returned! Will most likely stick with the trike for the rest of my riding career. Enjoy yours!

P.S. Only problem now is I have done everything I want to on making the FW what I want. Now I am getting the itch to do something else. It never ends.

Sunman

I've talked to lots of folks who have gone from 2 wheels to 3 but never met one who went from 3 back to 2. Says a lot

Bill

Hey Bill - I just caught your post. I too just sold my HD at 71YO for the same reasons. It got to where I just didn't feel all that confident on two wheels with the crazies around here, also just handling the heavy bike any longer. My Honda GL1800 with Roadsmith conversion is all the wife and I need to travel in the open air anymore. I also have the Corvette Stingray convertible when things get really tough, so that proves there is never an end to "boys and their toys".

Bill, Hello from the Arizona desert. Like you and many others here, I was touring on 2 wheels for many years. Just before turning 70 I went to a Can Am Spyder which I rode for 3 years. Circumstances dictated that I part with the Spyder and go back riding my 2 wheel Goldwing when I was 72. While I was competent back on 2 wheels, I found I was just not as comfortable and confident as I once was. So, now at 73 I went back to 3 wheels. The days of 2 wheels are behind me. But, I am happy to be on 3 and finding a lot of new friends along the way. Ride safe and smile big..... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png