Will not start in park

Apr 19, 2011
Signal Mountain Tn
2008 Stallion here. For some time it has intermittently not started in park. Pull it to neutral and starts okay. I have tried moving the steering column down, has no effect. I am thinking that the neutral switch is sticking or needs some contact cleaner. I don't know where to look to locate it??? So if anybody can give me a clue I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

your issue is the shifter cable. if you look at where the cable attaches to the shifter under the hood you will see that the plastic is worn and not allowing the cable to move completely where it needs to be for the switch to work. i made my own bushing and made the repair. i think replacing the cable is a better solution. it looks like it would be a tough job unless you can lift the trike in the air. i did not check but maybe ford has a repair kit for it. the plastic pieces are self locking when assembled. good luck keep us advised

did you get it started ?

your issue is the shifter cable. if you look at where the cable attaches to the shifter under the hood you will see that the plastic is worn and not allowing the cable to move completely where it needs to be for the switch to work. i made my own bushing and made the repair. i think replacing the cable is a better solution. it looks like it would be a tough job unless you can lift the trike in the air. i did not check but maybe ford has a repair kit for it. the plastic pieces are self locking when assembled. good luck keep us advised

had the same trouble with mine acouple years back it was the safety switch at the shifter theres a small buttom switch there that has to be depressed ( electrical button when brake is applied ) if the contact brake switch has gone bad it wont work.... i applied duct tape on the button switch depressing the button to by pass it . till i replace the brake switch , but i kind of like it way now as i can start it without sitting in it with my foot on the brake starting it stand next to it on the passenger side without sitting in it >

Thanks Doc. I checked the rod ends that Ted mentioned and mine need attention, so I will address that first to see how it goes. There is a kit available for the cable connectors. On the transmission side there are two different type used. I have to put the bike on a ramp so I can take a look to see what type I have. The parts lookup states this part is used in over 2000 applications, may be used on other than Ford. I will certainly take a look at that safety switch you mentioned. I have manually released it before, so I am familiar with what you are talking about. Thanks again.

I replaced the shifter bushing at the shifter end a few weeks ago and all was well. A couple of days ago, I put the Stallion on ramps to replace an extension speaker cable. At the time I noticed a yellow plastic piece on the garage floor. Had no idea where it came from. I discovered it would not shift into any gear. I checked underneath and the shifter cable was completely disconnected from the transmission. The yellow piece I mentioned above was the shifter bushing for the transmission end. It was badly deteriorated to almost a "crumbs" stage. I had a replacement Ranger bushing that I had previously ordered, but it would not fit. I was not sure of the cable application, so I sent Richard at TBMS an inquiry. He had to get the correct cable part number from Ford. It is for a 2007 Ford Focus and the part number is 5S4Z-7E395-C. You might want to save this pn. If you put in 2007 Ford Ford shifter cable to any of the leading parts suppliers, you will get a hodge podge of all sort of cables and other things. If you put in the Ford part number there is no listing. There was a Ford dealer on e-bay that had the cable in stock, but it said "last one" which I ordered. The cable was $39.56 including tax, no shipping.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png