Installing heated grips

Sep 20, 2018
Nebraska
I will be installing heated grips on my Freewheeler before winter hits here.

Has anyone on here done it, or at least know where the plug is located.

I have done a few sets on the fairing equipped models (Ultra Limited, Tri Glide, etc.), so I'm sure that I can install them on my Freewheeler. I'm just trying plan ahead and how much needs to be disassembled to find the power plug.

Thanks!

I will be installing heated grips on my Freewheeler before winter hits here.

Has anyone on here done it, or at least know where the plug is located.

I have done a few sets on the fairing equipped models (Ultra Limited, Tri Glide, etc.), so I'm sure that I can install them on my Freewheeler. I'm just trying plan ahead and how much needs to be disassembled to find the power plug.

Thanks!

I installed a set of Contoured Chrome Heated grips on the wife's 2015. Unlike the touring models with fairing, the Freewheelers require a Electrical Connection Update Kit, 69201599A for 2020 model year.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/electrical-connection-update-kit/p/69201599A

If I remember correctly the connection from left side to right side will need to be pulled through the handle bar as well.

Thanks for the information. I haven't even purchased the grips yet. I'll probably be getting them within the next few weeks. I'll post information here when I do install them.

Thanks for the information. I haven't even purchased the grips yet. I'll probably be getting them within the next few weeks. I'll post information here when I do install them.

kwkride, I return home tomorrow and will get eyes back on the wife's Freewheeler and update you on the install.

There are other ways to get the power for your grips vs using the accessory harness that HD sells. Under the left side of the tank, tucked up is a plug assembly for passing lights (which ironically HD does not list any that fit the Freewheeler), if you never plan on installing passing lights you could use the power there.

kwkride, I return home tomorrow and will get eyes back on the wife's Freewheeler and update you on the install.

There are other ways to get the power for your grips vs using the accessory harness that HD sells. Under the left side of the tank, tucked up is a plug assembly for passing lights (which ironically HD does not list any that fit the Freewheeler), if you never plan on installing passing lights you could use the power there.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate that!

Looking over the wife’s bike, as I had previously thought and now confirmed both looking at the bike as well as the electrical diagrams, the wiring for the left to right is within the handlebars and does not need to be external wired from left to right. As for using the power I mentioned that is located under the left side of the tank that is typically for the passing lamps, yes it can be done but would require making a wire harness (cutting the wiring supplied with the grips and acquiring the correct plug. It can be done but much easier if you acquire the aux harness. https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/electrical-connection-update-kit/p/69200722

How do you take the chrome cover off to get at the handlebar clamps? (I don’t have the service manual yet)

How do you take the chrome cover off to get at the handlebar clamps? (I don’t have the service manual yet)

There is a black plastic trim piece that wraps around the fork lock. Use a plastic pry tool and pop it off, if you have long hex bits you can reach thru the holes to loosen the clamps, (if you remove I believe 2 screws you can remove the entire chrome cover) making it easier than reaching thru the holes. I hope this makes sense 4 you

See post https://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/48118-Handlebar-cover-removal3 in this thread for a picture

If your referring to the clamp for adjusting the handlebars, you do not need to remove the chrome cover. Simply pop the black cover that surrounds the lock, it pops off very easily, and under that you will see two holes that expose two Allen head bolts that can be loosened for handle bar adjustments

If your referring to the clamp for adjusting the handlebars, you do not need to remove the chrome cover. Simply pop the black cover that surrounds the lock, it pops off very easily, and under that you will see two holes that expose two Allen head bolts that can be loosened for handle bar adjustments

I'm assuming that I'll need to get complete access to them to run the wires for the heated grips. I'll be installing them this weekend, so I'll be sure to post pics for future use.

Well I completed my 1,000 miles service today and installed the heated grips.

Unfortunately, they're not working. They are connected to 12v switched power and aren't doing anything.

I pulled the connector off of the end of the right hand grip and there is power at that point, so I'm assuming that everything must be hooked up correctly.

If I don't come up with anything else, I'll have to return them for another set. :-(

IMG_1304.jpgIMG_1305.jpgIMG_1308.jpg

Got the problem solved!

One of the extensions that came with the wiring set, crossed the leads.

Fixed that and now they’re working fine.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png