BMW Trike Questions

zyban

Reaction score
Hi all New Member looking at buying either an 2005 R1150 or K1200lt.

Doing research before making choice.

Due to having a Trike Conversion done to it I am limited to the above Models/Year.

I know service costs are easier on the Pocket with R's over K models.

Curious on whether the cost is worth choosing a K1200 over an R1150.

This will be My last Bike so am looking at long term use ownership, resale is not a concern.

Welcome all advise.

TIA

Things to consider,

The Boxer motor has the torque , the in-line has the smoothness :Shrug:

Conversion Costs

I know the cost of the HannigTrike Conversion Kit, Can anyone tell Me what they were charged for Fitting to a K1200LT.

TIA

Are you doing your own wrenching or having it done?

The K1200Lt's maintenance is a little more pricey do to the "Tupperware" ... LOL. But if your doing it yourself, once the plastic is out of the way, it's not that bad. You learn to group items together to save labor.

The K1200LT had the final drive issue, but, it was only on like 4% of them and I've never known anyone that had it happen to them. I always thought the K1200LT would make a great trike. IMHO, the only knock on the K1200LT was that it was top heavy and a handful in low speed cornering. Wouldn't be an issue in a trike.

Hannigan cost

I believe I paid around $17k USD for the kit with installation back in 2012. I had some extras added so the cost was more toward the top.

Attachments

• Woodstown.jpg
    Woodstown.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 119
You will need to talk to your local Hannigan dealer about that. It will depend on what options you add. Are you having the kit shipped to Australia?

Trike Quote

This is my original quotation. It looks like they charged $400.00 for installation? The extras are listed. Hope this helps.:Trike1:

Edit: Sorry the $400.00 was apparently a discount so I suppose the cost of installation was within the quotation?

Attachments

• Trike Quote.jpg
    Trike Quote.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 114
I have done a bit of research and it is far cheaper to buy a Bike and have a Kit fitted.

Kit alone is 28k here with cost of bile on Top of that it is getting close to 40K.

From what research I have done I can have one shipped and on the Road here for half that.

I will keep You in mind when I am ready.

Most used Trikes I looked at are still far more expensive than going new.

Thanks for the info,Resale value isn't a concern as I will never sell because this will be My last Bike so by the time I can no longer ride I will have well and truly gotten the value out of it.

In 2012 the cost of the Hannigan kit itself was between $8000 and $8500, I was a Hannigan dealer then and still am. The installation was built into the price. Since you haven bought a bike yet, you should look at already built trikes that are closer to home in Australia. There are some decent deals out there on the BMW trikes. If you cant find one, I can see what is out there in the US, but you'd have to factor in the freight and import fees to get it into your country.

Hi Zlook, I read where Hannigan fitted a kit and then sent it to the buyer in Australia?, As a Dealer for Hannigan ha be You heard of this be in gg done?.

I have spoken with the RMS Govt Import Dept. and apparently K models are not on the import list and Trike Conversions are only allowed if it is a Factory Conversion.

I can however import a R1200 and a Voyager Kit separately so will go that way.

I have had a Voyager Kit before and loved it.

I don't want another Harley Trike and really want another R so the Decision has been made for Me.

Thankx to everyone who answered my Post/s.

Will keep everyone updated.

R1200rt Voyager

Looks like My thoughts of importing a BM with a Hannigan Conversion have been quashed byGovt Bureaucracy I will be going with a Voyager.

Not My first time, previously had one fitted on a 1200 Sportster and loved it.

Has anyone here got one fitted to a R1200?, also how does their Reverse work, haven't seen one with it fitted.

Look forward to hearing about this.

TIA

Steering Rake kits

As Papa Zook may want to verify, Hannigan only makes a trike kit for the R1150RT, K1200LT and K1600GT/GTL with optional corresponding steer-lite kits. When I first inquired about a kit for the R1200RT back in 2012, Hannigan said they didn't make a trike conversion for it and the R1150RT one wouldn't fit. I would guess that goes for the steer-lite kit also......:Shrug:

2003 BMW K1200LT Trike W/Hannigan Kit

Curious if anyone has had issues with being too short for riding pegs ? I see J-Pegs, work great for someone 5FT. 9" or taller, but I am only 5FT. 6" . I know I can not be the only one with this problem . I would really appreciate any ideas for this, just took a bike trip south, rode over 1800 miles, bike was very comfortable, but I had issues with my legs becoming sore . I really hate to buy something, unless I hear that it will work for me, so any input would be great, THANK YOU !!!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png