Amsoil void warranty

Hi Ed. Manufacturers have minimum ratings for oil in order to comply with warranty requirements. If ANY lubricant meets or exceeds that requirement, the manufacturer cannot alter anything in your warranty because of that. You are protected for this by law. It is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

BTW..... Nice meeting and riding with you last week. What a wonderful time. After a couple days or rest, I am ready to do it all over again. Take care..... Jim

Last edited:
What Jim said I agree with. I've used Mobil 1 and had catastrophic engine failure on a 110" CVO a few years ago. Nothing was even mentioned about oil or even verifying service history and the engine was replaced. In any case it is Harley corporate that decides on warranty coverage so I'd speak to them and see what they have to say.

Reactions: MDO
I became an AMSOIL Dealer in 2000.

This controversy about warranty and compatibility of synthetics on the Harley-Davidson product just won't rest. Prior to their introduction of Syn3 (semi-synthetic), Harley-Davidson took the position that synthetics were harmful for their engines. Then they developed their own product to sell. So much for SCIENCE !!:Shrug:

I was just told by my dealer that they no longer use Amsoil, it will void your warranty. Just wondering if anyone has been told this.

......and since 2009, Harley-Davidson Dealers no longer build Lehman, Champion or MotorTrike conversions. Hell, they won't even work on the ones they built since the COMPANY marketed the TriGlide in 2009.

This oil warranty debacle rears its ugly head again. Harley does NOT manufacture oil. They put out tenders to oil company's to produce a product for them. HD corporate does NOT go on record to list what the certification of this oil is. Therefore how can they say we are using the wrong oil? The only thing a HD owners manual states is if in a bind 1 can use a diesel rated oil. For a dealer to say that any oil other than HD oil will void a warranty is not only irresponsible BUT it also goes against federal law.Read here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

You guys are making Harley Davidson sound a lot like Big Brother... don’t do this, don’t do that..if you do you are in trouble...just give us money and you get wheels and a frame in return.. surely they have not gotten that bad..?

Lets not forget HD kept saying over and over again synthetic oil would cause bearing skate problems until they (corporate) saw oil sales slipping. Hence HD introduces Syn3 oil. They touted this new and improved and the oil certified by HD for our bikes. Still the MOCO does NOT put an API rating on their oils. HMMMMMMM

I agree Jack. They won't tell you specs on anything. I asked my service writer about HD Formula+ and he took me aside and told me it was conventional 10W40 oil. He said he would deny it if I rat him out.

I have used for awhile in my clutch because I had a bunch, but im out now and at the 15,000 mile service its getting Redline.

i have run 10w-30 whatever was cheapest in every thing from my mowers, v max 100k miles , kz130070k niles, road star 25k, valkrie 20k, 88 flh engine 60k (not trans or primary)

never had ANY issues with engine or clutch

Didn't mean to open a can of worms. Just never heard of such a think of a vehicle manufacturer try to dictate what oil you use. I do my own oil change and use Amsoil for oil and Redline for the other 2 holes. Had trike in to have a RAD error looked at that popped up at the Eastern Arizona gathering.

Didn't mean to open a can of worms. Just never heard of such a think of a vehicle manufacturer try to dictate what oil you use. I do my own oil change and use Amsoil for oil and Redline for the other 2 holes. Had trike in to have a RAD error looked at that popped up at the Eastern Arizona gathering.

We like oil threads:p Dont let the dealer feed you false info on your choice of oils ;)

Whoever told you that should be fired. Ask to see the document that says that.

Last weekend I sat next to a H-D service writer. He was telling the guy across from us that Amsoil will destroy his engine. I asked how and he gave some mumble jumble answer about rings and seals. Next to Mobil1, Amsoil is the second largest selling motorcycle oil in the country. If it was so bad, why doesn't H-D Corp. have an official document denouncing Amsoil????

I use to sell Amsoil years ago and used it in all my vehicles for over 30 years - not one single oil related problem.

It's a shame that people pull these sorts of bullshit on customers. This a part of the problem Harley has, misinformation and foolish statements by uneducated immoral people in positions of trust sad really sad. Fred

I have to agree it is BS, seems like harley will do anything to void your warranty now a days, the EPA put a scare into harley and so harley in turn will void warranty for what ever reason to prevent paying out repairs and since they are hurting in the business and not really selling bikes, that is what I think.

On my bike I was in the service department and talking to them and I told them I changed my oil and filter, my trannie and primary, this was about the 1,000 mile service, they said it will void my warranty doing it myself, like I said harley will do and say anything about voiding your warranty, we know it is BS

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png