I am getting the MAXXTOW #70238 1/2 ton hitch secured hydraulic crane. It looks easy to set up & use. (https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-A...w/MT70238.html) I just wondered if anyone here has used one, and if so, any thoughts? Looks like a "back saver" to me.

It would have been nice last week loading those pieces of tree stump / trunk into my older '77 F-150. Was all my wife (she tried to help lift, and was a good steadying hand, but I fussed some as I didn't want her blocking my "drop path" if I needed to let go) and I could do getting them loaded to haul out of the yard (was once a live, but now dead for several years white pine). Once set up, which looks fast & easy, it will lift and swing a load into the bed, would make easy such lifting.

It would work with my '07 F-150, but I have the bed covered so a heavy item would have to be parked on the tail gate of the '07, then scooted under the cover. On the '77, besides it having no cover, there is less worry about accidental damage.

It would also work off of my heavy (just a 4x8 bed, but it's got a steel 3" tall, 1/4" wall channel frame, 1/8" steel diamond plate floor, 3,500lb 4" drop axle) utility trailer's tongue if I weld a receiver tube on the trailer tongue (gonna modify it anyway to allow tilting while hitched). Really, how many have wished for a tongue mounted lift on a low utility trailer? I have. I've seen one like it even used with 4 wheel ATV. The vehicle with it's weight really just provides a third and stable "leg" for the MAXXTOW hitch crane. My Wheel Horse likely would work, it weighs as much as a ATV.

Digging around in my basement shop, I was looking at a unused Harbor Freight 1 ton shop crane I bought on sale maybe 10-12 years ago for like $99 on a good "super" coupon sale. Thought about rigging a axle (to use taller, more yard friendly rubber tired wheels as the casters would dig in) for use under it at the mast area and a three link type removable hitch so I can easily tow it in the yard, but then this other option caught my eye, it can "go with me" if needed, looks very stable too. I likely will still modify the Harbor Freight one and then I'd have "options" in the yard, like use it behind my Wheel-Horse. by towing into position, drop the long legs if needed, then just lift.