Help with new carb.

Mar 11, 2011
Oak Lawn Illinois
Hello again i got the engine all together i tried to start, it is back firing and will not start at all. I now it has to be the carb. the carb is a brand new 34 pict it has two stouts for vacum lines. Am i supposed to run a vacum line from the distributer to it or no. and how do i set all the screws for start up. then i can adjust. any help please.

We had a Dell'Orto DRLA on The Blue Trike, never had any dealings with the Pict. But - get yourself down to the nearest bookstore and pick up the "Idiot Book".
Any air-cooled VW owner, whether Bug, Ghia, Squareback, Sandrail or Trike should have this manual even if they have others. Not only does it give step by step procedures for fixing a VW, it is a hoot to read. Was written by an ex-NASA engineer turned hippy, so it has a great 60's attitude and style. The drawings are amazing, and very clear.
You may be able to get it at a 2nd hand or vintage bookstore used, or at places like Amazon.

Here is a link for info from Amazon-
Amazon.com: How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot (9781566913102): John Muir, Tosh Gregg, Peter Aschwanden: Books

ok ordered the idiots book. thanks for the sites i did all that already. i put the old carb back on i new it worked but its old so i figured go new. now i am getting fuel and its timed but it still will not start. number one plugs let out a poof and then the motor just cranks and cranks. compression is 130 to 135 all plugs are new an proper gapped and new wires and coil. but still nothing.

Hello again i got the engine all together i tried to start, it is back firing and will not start at all. I now it has to be the carb. the carb is a brand new 34 pict it has two stouts for vacum lines. Am i supposed to run a vacum line from the distributer to it or no. and how do i set all the screws for start up. then i can adjust. any help please.

I can not remember because it's been 20 years since I worked on VW's is it possible to put the distributer in 180 degrees out? If so might be the cause.

Joe, I have the book for idiots like myself first make sure that you have the plug wires in the rite firing order not saying that you don't! take the distributor off and on the housing you will find a small notch that is the number one firing position going clockwize the order is 1,4,3,2 the larger notch is for the distibutor cap. Hope this helps!!

Sean

Joe, I have the book for idiots like myself first make sure that you have the plug wires in the rite firing order not saying that you don't! take the distributor off and on the housing you will find a small notch that is the number one firing position going clockwize the order is 1,4,3,2 the larger notch is for the distibutor cap. Hope this helps!!

Sean

Okay thank you to everyone but you all were wrong. lol I had everything correct but the boot around the head pipe was busted and what happened was it created a back flow vacum leak. it was so bad that it would just leak all fuel out before hitting the cylinders. I am not sure how i figured it out it was a lucky catch i think. But Thank you all sincerly for the help. I hope this information may help someone else about ready to c4 there trike.lol. Here is links to the build project photos and also the video i just shot of the engine starting today. I just has to run in and share with trike talk. This place is awesome. Thanks again everyone.

Link to photos of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102085064766684163094/TrikeBuildPhotos#

Video of the new engine Running..

Joe, I once bought a VW from a guy who had spent all winter building the engine,, did a great job.. he put the engine in and could not get it to crank..he then decided to sell it.. I got it and found out that he had cut the points wire when he put the Dist. cap. on that is why it would not crank.... so I installed new points and it cranked right up...
Called the guy and offered to sell it back to him, for what I got it for.. he was so mad he did not want it back....
Vw's sometimes would make the Pope cuss....
Glad U found ur problem...

Excelemt news vwjoe,would have never thought of looking for that. Sounds good can't wait till its all together...Again excelent news!!! :D

Yea I never thought of it either if I fix not see the fuel leaking I would not of either. Thanks yea I so bad wanna ride it. Been two years building it.

Joe, I once bought a VW from a guy who had spent all winter building the engine,, did a great job.. he put the engine in and could not get it to crank..he then decided to sell it.. I got it and found out that he had cut the points wire when he put the Dist. cap. on that is why it would not crank.... so I installed new points and it cranked right up...
Called the guy and offered to sell it back to him, for what I got it for.. he was so mad he did not want it back....
Vw's sometimes would make the Pope cuss....
Glad U found ur problem...

Lol that so sucks for him. Yea I think I would of been pissed to. Ok I feel a little better. I have a new fire now that I got it started so now rolling foward more pics to come hope to be on it in a couple of months.

gotta love that throttle cable. gonna run that over the shoulder or under when the trike is finished, .......joking of course, we have all done that at one time or other.

gotta love that throttle cable. gonna run that over the shoulder or under when the trike is finished, .......joking of course, we have all done that at one time or other.

I was gonna duck tape it to seat and just reach around for The throttle or if I have a passenger in back they can work it. Lol be like team work. No seriously I'm going to tie around the front handle bars and push an pull for throttle lol. Ok no it will run down a tube I am going install by The shifter rod to The foward controls all under The frame.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astrocreep
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png