Frozen Switches? No Headlights!

ajpk1200r

Reaction score
It’s been cold here in NJ but not overly so. Pulled the trike out of the garage to get our bins out to put away XMAS decorations. When putting the bike away (2006 GL1800) the bike started but no lights. Restarted, lights came in but hi-low didn’t work lights went out. Tried different switches, hazards, fog lights, all were extremely stiff. Stopped trying for fear of the getting stuck.

Never had this happen before as I have ridden in temps in the 30’s. Can I assume that it’s just the lubricant in the switches are just old and frozen? As the garage is un heated I’ll be waiting for warmer weather to play. It’s the lights not working and high low beam not working that concerns me the most.

Thanks!!

Anthony

lets hope that it's because of frozen grease in the switches........[i'd wait till it warms up a tad and try the switches again/maybe place bike in the warm sun, later on in the season]

Ronnie

Grab your wife's hair dryer and use it to heat the switches. See if that gets them working again. This will give you an idea if the cold caused your problem;)

Try wiggling the starter button and see if the lights come on, if they do, do the above with the wife's hair dryer and maybe some plastic safe contact cleaner.

I'd say the above two responses were a better idea then mine......... Yes hair dry'rrr and wiggle the switches.... Smart!

Ronnie

Take the switch out and clean it really well. Lube it and the spring with dielectric grease, reinstall

Ok! Since it warmed up to the 40’s I went out to R&R the bike. Looking at the suggestions from trike talk and other Goldwing forums investigating a possible bad or dirty starter switch among others. Well it took a bit of cranking but the bike started with no lights. Grabbed the starter button and shook it. Boom!! Lights on! High Low works as well. As I wiggled it more the light flickered. So I’m wondering if I need a new switch assembly. But first we will open up the pod and spray it out and clean the switch. Need to get some cleaner do I’ll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
i read the preceding post and have info on bad switches.

both my switches are old and dirty and sticky, hey they 20 years old. what happens in road dust gets in there and builds up. i know this because i disassembled both switches cleaned them regreased them and go figure they still did not work well. the dust acts as sandpaper in the greases, grinds into the parts. i tried everything sprayed them with everything not even electronic cleaner worked. the sand gets ground into the parts. anything that works wont last the fresh moist attracts even more dirt so they get worse. it's basically the same problem we have with cables, why they must be replaced.

currently i have the same trouble with my starter switch, most of my other switches no longer work. those that do stick. push buttons wont release.

only one choice here buy new switches, not new to you or used. you will only inherit another problem. the parts inside are small and thin, they would not have a long life even if they stayed clean.

swiches

I had this issue myself on a 91 Goldwing and a VTX1800...If anyone has been using WD40 to keep switches moving freely this could be the cause. WD-40 should never be used near anything that you want to remain free moving for any length of time. Within a couple of months WD-40 turns into a gummy substance that attracts all kinds of dust and dirt....I took the switch apart,cleaned it,put back together..never a prob after that....

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png