Episode 3 : The Dismantling..

Jan 3, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi,

Okay, I now have my chassis, I believe it to be a Watsonian, I could be wrong, but all things point to that being right. The axle is compatible, the bearing numbers are right, the rear springs are also right, but either rusted solid, or the temper is lacking. So, I took whatever I could to bits ready for the renovation.

The springs were difficult until a slitting disc was employed. All the bolts etc are Whitworth sized, some rusted solid in the shackles etc, but a drill will soon clear those. The springs all ready to be sent away when this Covid shutdown dwindles. I have a company that renovates springs, but they are 200/300 miles away, and driving/delivery is a no-no at the moment even with a carrier. Still, there is no rush, so much else to do, especially now the Winter is here and the torrential rain keeps falling.. not exactly biker weather is it..??

The wheel bearings seem to have the original preservative grease on them and the axle shaft. They are perfectly alright to use still, but time and dust etc means that they will be replaced as amateur of course.

This is about as far as I can go for the moment. As soon as the bike can be taken outside, then I can experiment with the frame etc, plus install heavy fork oil etc.

Has anyone experienced Shovelhead sidecar sprocket sizes, or anything like that, or is the bike just so powerful it would pull anything.....????

These are the two springs all ready to go off...

Attachments

• springs 6 .jpg
    springs 6 .jpg
    1 MB · Views: 143
Reg, if the pic is the sidecar you are writing about then it does look like a Watsonian, interesting to see the back of the chair is almost in line with the wheel, where is the rear fixing to the bike in relation to this point ?

Where in the UK do you live, just out of interest.

The English Answer......

Reg, if the pic is the sidecar you are writing about then it does look like a Watsonian, interesting to see the back of the chair is almost in line with the wheel, where is the rear fixing to the bike in relation to this point ?

Hi, There is an area to the East known as East Anglia, the big butt shaped bit, about halfway up, there is a small town known as Aldeburgh, locally called 'orlbrah'. I live about three or so miles away from there. It is right on the coast, and slowly eroding away as I type.... There once was a USAF base called 'Bentwaters' near here, but that is another story altogether...!!!

The avatar picture was taken from an advert for the chair, from a guy who trades in old bikes etc in Framlingham, also quite near here. There is a big old castle there for the history buffs.... I rather liked the frontal curvature of what would be the bow if it was a boat. The guy who actually bought the chair is a very good friend of mine who lives locally. He attached it to an old Harley... he would not like it much if I showed it, but sod it, here it is....... as you can see, this one has the older 'C' springs fitted, and the chassis belies the length of the chair. I intend to build one very similar, but a tad shorter, not so high at the rear end, and without the top part. here it is, but do not tell my mate please...!!!

Attachments

• DSCN2402.jpg
    DSCN2402.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN2404.jpg
    DSCN2404.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 104
Another English Answer maybe.....

Hi again, About the picture shown as my avatar..... I also thought it was a Watsonian, but evidently many other brands also composed their own similar designs on the nautical theme. From the same source as the avatar picture, this one also appeared, and I have to say, it looks even more like what I want.... in fact, my favourite colour is Green anyway, sooo..... Noxal Launch c. 1930's.

Attachments

• Noxal Launch with BSA.jpg
    Noxal Launch with BSA.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 103

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David Davis
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png