New Member and In Way Over My Head but what's new? Hello All

Reaction score
Hello All, Tricia aka Redtrouble.

My husband has inherited a VW Trike that was built from the ground up by his late father. So now we have a project that neither of us have much knowledge on and can use a ton of help.

In my research attempts to learn as much as I possibly can I found this wonderful site. Then ended up on the phone with @Papa Zook looking for information and parts. It was very nice to speak with you today and to find out that you were the founder of this site.

We are both looking forward to making this build as amazing as possible and honoring my husbands late father.

So far we have found out that we have a 1971-72 1600cc DP Super Beetle. The bike has sat for at least a year so now the work begins on replacing/upgrading parts. While we are obviously always going to find the best deals possible I also want to ensure that this rebuild is done to the highest standards as it will never leave the family and will be passed down.

All that being said, first things first, we are starting with the carburetor, distributor, fuel pump, and battery. Now comes the fun part, what carburetor do we need and why. Oh the research....

The carb that is currently on the trike is a Solex 34 PICT-4 which is of course full of old fuel and gunk. No worries we can replace that right, well so far I have found 1 used and 1 rebuilt 34 PICT-4. The rebuilt is overseas, has a 6 week lead time and is $472. There and tons of 34 PICT-3...anyone care to take this lost redhead under their wings and explain the difference of the 3 verses the 4?

What I have read:So far I have found that the 34 PICT-4 has a bigger temperature controlled accelerator pump, it comes equipped with a dash pot which controls how a vehicle's throttle lever opens and closes. The purpose of which is to slow down the return of the throttle assembly when you let go of the throttle which leads to better burn off of excess fuel...then I read some have removed this feature like ours has been, but this was for a car, how does that equate to a trike. Basically, I am asking dashpot or no dashpot and why?

I also read that it will not work with a 009 distributor, but as I have yet to research distributors I honestly have no clue what that means.. Any information or advice would be appreiciated. Same goes for fuel filters as that along with the distributor are my next research items.

I am sure I sound completley lost and uneducated so any help is greatly appreaciated. Have a great day and I am sure I will be back soon.

Regards,

Redtrouble

View attachment 95384View attachment 95385View attachment 95386View attachment 95387

Attachments

• VW Trike 5.jpg
    VW Trike 5.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 167
  • VW Trike 4.JPG
    VW Trike 4.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 161
  • VW Trike 3.JPG
    VW Trike 3.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 162
  • VW Trike 2.jpg
    VW Trike 2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 164
I know nothing about your carburetor. But you have named the three things. That are the hardest to obtain. Chinese replacements are all junk. If the carb, distributor, and fuel pump aren't matched it'll never run right. If the parts are original to that vehicle then I would rebuild what you have.

Howdy Tricia,

Enjoyed talking to you too. I reposted this on the VW Trike forum. You should get more response there, check it out.

Papa

:welcome: Tricia , hang tight as thers quite a few WV garoos here that can help .

Congratulations enjoy the journey!

There are a good deal of information look at sand dune rail builds. VW Powered trikes as well Volkswagen motor rebuilds books are available also.

We fooled around with them back in the 70's. We lighten the fly wheels simply because they didn't have the weight to push man would they rev. up fast changed crank pullies turned the generator faster and cooled the motor better. Changed cams we liked to use dual port heads and fly cut then to increase compression. But that was a long time ago. Good luck on your build. :good: Wrench safe Fred

Hi Trisha, Welcome from Central Utah. If you want to know about VW's give Skinney's Restorations in Orem Utah. 801 367 1004 and ask for Lonnie Woodard. Tell him Paul DeGrey gave you his number and ask him whatever you need. He knows VW better then anyone, and tho not a trike rider he is a rider. Besides much information he also has many parts. Good luck with your search and your tribute to your late father in law.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png