Need new tires

I switched rear tires at 31,520 dry rotted in the tread face dunflop OEM . Front Michelin front I have over 15,000 now with 5/32" tread left. This most likely last season for it.

The oem Dunlop 402 front tire on my 2020 TG is going to need replacement before long. Got just shy of 9k and by 10k it'll need replacement before riding season gets into full swing. I know many like the Avon and I had it on my 2018 TG and considering it but also looking at other Dunlop versions and they are very confusing to me.

Dunlop has the American Elite, the Elite 3 and also the Elite 4. Not sure of the pros and cons of these and wonder if anyone has experience with these models.

Jerry, when on 2( a long time ago) I had the Elite tires & they were very good. Not sure now with all the 3,4, &747, lol

I liked the Avon so well I had dealer take off the 16 (as it only had 4500 on it) & put on the 20. Also switched the Goodyear rears. I now have another 9500 on the 20 & that Avon still looks good . Have to gauge it before the long trip.

Jerry, when on 2( a long time ago) I had the Elite tires & they were very good. Not sure now with all the 3,4, &747, lol

I liked the Avon so well I had dealer take off the 16 (as it only had 4500 on it) & put on the 20. Also switched the Goodyear rears. I now have another 9500 on the 20 & that Avon still looks good . Have to gauge it before the long trip.

Thanks Bill. Further research indicates the 3 and 4 more suited to sport touring and the American Elite more toward Harleys. So I have a decision to make between Avon or American Elite.

Did you have the tires mounted in reverse?

No. The Avon Cobra Trike tire is designed to be mounted on the front of a trike. There is an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of rotation.

The rears mount just like a car tire. They actually are car tires. ;) Keep the pressure down.

Thanks Bill. Further research indicates the 3 and 4 more suited to sport touring and the American Elite more toward Harleys. So I have a decision to make between Avon or American Elite.

Let me know what you get. Have to look at the Elite again after all these years. I remember it had a much deeper tread depth than the stock Dunlops

Let me know what you get. Have to look at the Elite again after all these years. I remember it had a much deeper tread depth than the stock Dunlops

If you go with American Elite, I would go with the rear tire instead of the front tire. I have 3000 miles on my American Elite front tire and it doesn't look like it will last another 3000 miles. I am going to change it out before I go my 5000 mile tour ride in May. I will probably go back to the Avon Trike Tire. Got good wear out of that tire.

Make sure you check for rebates. The Avon Cobra has been offering rebates for a couple years, but I have not checked recently. It was for $20 for 1 tire.

What ever tires you decide to go with just change them out ever five years and use them as trailer tires...Miss Mysterious just got new rubber when she traded in the black enforcers for shiny chrome ones...that girl is such a chrome whore....

Attachments

• 164529571_2900325493620815_3494177631904257361_o (1).jpg
    164529571_2900325493620815_3494177631904257361_o (1).jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 67
Good choice I most likely would have used them on back but I got a great price on my Goodyear's. Installing a 70 series just a little taller tire, I removed the screaming at 70-75 mph. I still have good bottom end. It was an experiment that worked out if it didn't my utility trailer had new tires.

I had a bent wheel on the rear , I had a set of new take off's ,painted them to somewhat match my pvd coated front wheel, I put 215/70/15 Ironman I Move Gen 2 Tires on . What a difference in ride , cornering , and the gear ratio 75mph 3000 rpm , got to watch the speedo now you kinda used to riding by the engine noise look down you being doing 80 - 85 mph little better mpg . Got caught in the rain on I 90, 70 mph they were great .

I had a bent wheel on the rear , I had a set of new take off's ,painted them to somewhat match my pvd coated front wheel, I put 215/70/15 Ironman I Move Gen 2 Tires on . What a difference in ride , cornering , and the gear ratio 75mph 3000 rpm , got to watch the speedo now you kinda used to riding by the engine noise look down you being doing 80 - 85 mph little better mpg . Got caught in the rain on I 90, 70 mph they were great .

Nice to see someone else went to higher tires and like the improved ride and handling. I wasn't sure there was room for the wider profile but eventually there is good to hear. Have you noticed any better handling the 70's really helped my handling a great deal.

DSC01598.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01581.JPG
    DSC01581.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 67
Nice to see someone else went to higher tires and like the improved ride and handling. I wasn't sure there was room for the wider profile but eventually there is good to hear. Have you noticed any better handling the 70's really helped my handling a great deal.

View attachment 98731

started out with 26 pds of air ended up at 22 , yes it handles a lot better , looks good with the big tires , its like a different machine . thanks for the great Idea .

started out with 26 pds of air ended up at 22 , yes it handles a lot better , looks good with the big tires , its like a different machine . thanks for the great Idea .

Nice to get a little more weight on the front wheel what a difference it makes. Our 09' was in need of maintenance so I upgraded springs and valves from Pro Action. These sure ended the nose dives, but we are working to eliminate the occasional noise from the springs or valves for some reason. Congratulations glad you went with taller tires. There is room for 75 series but you would need more power than my stock 103 has. Ride safe Fred

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png